Drivers seat problem...

JoeInIreland

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Over the last week or so, I've noticed a strange "lumpy" feeling in my driver's seat back. It's very hard to describe exactly what it is, but it is most noticeable when pulling away in traffic, for example - i.e. when my weight is pushed back into it.
The seat back feels like there is something loose inside it, like maybe a spring or something.
I tried adjusting the headrest, but that made no difference - I don't think it has anything to do with that anyway.

Anyone else ever have this strange one? Hate the idea of bringing it to the dealers already!

cheers,
Joe.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

Over the last week or so, I've noticed a strange "lumpy" feeling in my driver's seat back. It's very hard to describe exactly what it is, but it is most noticeable when pulling away in traffic, for example - i.e. when my weight is pushed back into it.
The seat back feels like there is something loose inside it, like maybe a spring or something.
I tried adjusting the headrest, but that made no difference - I don't think it has anything to do with that anyway.

Anyone else ever have this strange one? Hate the idea of bringing it to the dealers already!

cheers,
Joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this may seem a bit odd.....

Do you wear a belt? I have had exactly the same problem - but its my belt pressing into my back... The angle I have my seat at causes the belt to press the lower edge into me....

Just a thought.....

no.... Its definitely not anything I'm wearing myself.
I feel it higher up in the seat than that anyway - about mid-way up my back. Definitely feels like something has come loose inside the seat itself.

I wish my driver's seat did have a lump in it.
The adjustable lumber lump,to be precise.
My A4 had it.
My back hurts again.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish my driver's seat did have a lump in it.
The adjustable lumber lump,to be precise.
My A4 had it.
My back hurts again.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, I have to agree with you on this one. The lumbar support should be std. as it is NEEDED on the A3. I now have a slightly 'arched' back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

cheers,
Joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, I have that exact problem you are talking about. It feels as if some sort of spring is loose or something. My first service is coming up so i'll ask them to have a look. I have had it for some time now and am just used to it.

I've left my car into the dealer today, the guy I showed it too agreed there was a problem alright. Hopefully will be sorted.

They gave me a base-spec '04 A3 for the day, which seems to have had a hard life so far - lots of scratches! Also, cannot believe how grim the interior of the basic spec car is, without the climate control/leather wheel/sports seats, etc...

Got the problem sorted out at long last. They have replaced the seat back of the seat, and from my short drive back from the dealers, it seems to have solved the problem, whatever it was.
I was a bit worried when the Tech guy explained how they replace the seat back rest, which actually involves removing the upholstery of the existing back rest and "pulling" it onto the new one! Looks like they did a perfect job anyway... (I hope!)

PS: Saw a new A3 3door with the big-nose grill at the dealers. Me not like very much.