Drivers side window

Tqm

Reaction score
Hi guys I have an 2009 A3 1.6 s line which I bought with a non functional driver side window, the window does not go up or down but makes a clicking sound when I press the button, the passenger side can be operated from the same controls. When I bought the car the owner showed me the fault code which said something about the motor. Does anyone know what part I would need to fix? Much appreciated.

Hi guys I have an 2009 A3 1.6 s line which I bought with a non functional driver side window, the window does not go up or down but makes a clicking sound when I press the button, the passenger side can be operated from the same controls. When I bought the car the owner showed me the fault code which said something about the motor. Does anyone know what part I would need to fix? Much appreciated.

Same thing happened to mine. It could be 1 of 2 things...

1. Strip interior door panel off & look at the 3 plastic screw fittings which attach the motor to the regulator, it is very common for these to be over tightened & crack the screw housing, trust me, ave annoyingly done this, resulting in the motor still working as the cog is still turning but not properly catching the regulator cog spindle.
Best to buy a 2nd hand motor (£15-25) as gluing the screw fittings will eventually give way after several uses...

2. It could be the window regulator cable which has snapped or about to shear. Need to replace the window regulator, kits on Ebay £30-40 depending on 3/5 door model, DONT BUY CHEAPER KITS as wire cable will fail whithin 6 months (happened on my VW Golf) It can be a 2-3hr job for non experienced person & some patience, as it can be a footery job. All worth it once its all fitted back together...
There is threads on here somewhere & YouTube on how to replace regulator...
Good luck

Jay

1st pic - circled in orange is the window motor with the 3 screws circled.

2nd pic - circled in orange us the window regulator kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-225146_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-225146_Gallery.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_20210112-225353_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-225353_Gallery.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 164
If you need it fixed for you, ping me a WhatsApp.

Thanks guys so id be able to determine if its the motor or regulator by taking off the door panel? The car needs to go in for a few little things anyway so im trying to get all the parts together so they can fit them and make it as quick as possible.

Thanks NHN Ill certainly consider it once i have the parts.

Reactions: NHN
When my regulator failed I could hear the motor working, but the window remained shut.
I bought a regulator before the door was taken apart and it turned out to be the regulator that was broken.
Expect to pay around £120 for a genuine part.

Reactions: No more
Thanks guys so id be able to determine if its the motor or regulator by taking off the door panel? The car needs to go in for a few little things anyway so im trying to get all the parts together so they can fit them and make it as quick as possible.

Thanks NHN Ill certainly consider it once i have the parts.

No worries, could maybe do your other things too at same time ;)

When my regulator failed I could hear the motor working, but the window remained shut.
I bought a regulator before the door was taken apart and it turned out to be the regulator that was broken.
Expect to pay around £120 for a genuine part.
When pressing the button I can hear a clicking sound coming from inside the door, does this mean my motor is okay?

Sounds like the regulator, don't buy ecp version as last one a client bought needed modifying to fit, luckily I was able but it was a ballache.

Take the door card of before buying anything.

Reactions: No more
When pressing the button I can hear a clicking sound coming from inside the door, does this mean my motor is okay?

Like my post above states that if its clicking then the motor is working but double check the 3 screw housings on both sides of motor as one or more may be cracked from over tightening, this causes the motor still to turn but wont make a tight enough connection against the regulator housings spinning cog. Thats the clicking u hear, it will eventually ware away the teeth. Best & easiest option I found is to buy 2nd hand motor, as trying to repair the cracked housing is a waste of time. It will break away after several uses.
If all 3 screw housings are fine then it will more than likely be a new window regulator u'll need. U'll have a better idea once u remove the door card. U can see the motor & any broken cables from regulator once card is removed. If its the regulator, the noise tends to be more of a crunching noise, than a constant steady clicking noise from the motor...

Took the door card off today and couldn't see any issues with the motor from a visual inspection, I also don't see any broken cables or anything obviously wrong with the regulator (though I dont really know what to look for) but given the fact i can hear the motor clicking am I to order the regulator now?

Try and hook it all up with the card off and operate to see the issue.

Unscrew the motor from the door and operate the window switch, the motor should run. If not new motor required. If the regulator is faulty you should be able to see the cable caught up or the plastic wheels dislodged, you need a torch and mirror to look inside the door cavity.

Unscrew the motor from the door and operate the window switch, the motor should run. If not new motor required. If the regulator is faulty you should be able to see the cable caught up or the plastic wheels dislodged, you need a torch and mirror to look inside the door cavity.
Thank you, this will be my next job then I will update :)

Thank you, this will be my next job then I will update :)
How did you get on with this? I've got the same issue. Just yesterday was the first time it happened. Went to put both my windows down, it sounded like something dropped and then I heard a kind of crunching / winding sound. The window was all the way down, I didn't want to leave it like that so tried to put all the way up but it stopped about 3-4 times and wouldn't go all the way back up. I have about an 3cm open gap. Looking at my window, it looks like it's got a bunch of friction scratches grouped together, vertically, sort of towards the back of the glass/door.

I haven't had any issues with the passenger side window prior to yesterday evening. It worked fine during the day.

Does anyone know if I can manually get the window fully back up by pulling, pushing it? I tried lightly but I don't want to make matter worse.

Regulator snapped I'd say, only way to get that up is to remove top of door & untangle tbh, but then it needs to be held up, tbh best to buy a new regulator once you've checked it's this of course & fit at the same time, be careful buying non Audi as they're not always correct fitment & don't last.

Reactions: dk1234
Regulator snapped I'd say, only way to get that up is to remove top of door & untangle tbh, but then it needs to be held up, tbh best to buy a new regulator once you've checked it's this of course & fit at the same time, be careful buying non Audi as they're not always correct fitment & don't last.
Thanks. From what has been said here and some searches, it looks like it probably will be the regulator. I got the door card off, unscrewed the motor and the cable was unraveled abit in the hole underneath.

I've got a few pictures behind the motor that I'll upload in the next post. Where's the best place to get a regulator? is there a part number to look out for?

Hi, are there any recommeded places to buy the passenger side regulator from other than Audi? I need some door card clips for my drivers side door too.

I changed mine yesterday, it was hard work. The third party regulator I got from GSF, when putting the door back in one of the screws wouldn't screw into the regulator bottom right, the 2 Torx 25 screws. The one nearer the hinge, the screw hole was too big. The screw could just be pushed in and out of it, so it couldn't be tightened. I had to leave that one out.

Winding the window down seemed okay, but raising it up it seems stressed? abit slower/lounder like the motor is working hard. Is there anything I can do to adjust this? I saw it mentioned elsewhere that the bolt by the speaker is an adjuster bolt for the window/door frame, but I didn't get what the person was saying and it was an old post. Does anyone know if I might be able to adjust this to sort the issue of it feeling like the window is going up stressed.

Hey guys, I thought I would take another look today as when winding my window to the top or bottow I could hear a Crunch or clank sound, like something is tight and maybe clipping something else. I took my speaker of to see if I could get better access. I thought maybe as the side at the bottom of the regulator nearer the drivers door hinge isn't screwed in, it might be something to do with that.

The hole I can't get a screw into doesn't seem to have any thread in it, what's so ever, the screw literally goes in and out without any resistance. I have my old window regulator and the screw, screws in fine to the bottom holes. On the other side, where I got an screw into you can see the thread. I'll post some pictures from my phone in the next post. Is it possible that GSF has fogetten to that part in? Can I get a fitting to go in the hole that would give the correct thread?

This is the part I got, this was for my 3 door 58 plate, that I believe is 09 facelift version, which takes 09 parts. This is the part recommended when putting my numberplate in.

Part No :WPSWPR2096L
WPS WINDOW REGULATOR
AUDI A3 2.0 TFSI (09/04 - 08/12)
Fitting PositionFront LH
Equipment VariantWith anti pinch
Number Of Doors3

Any help or tips appreciated.

This is the side I cannot get a screw into. this is a picture of the screw hole, when pushing the regulator over to line it up.

Regulator 3

Here is a picture of it before I put the window frame back into the car last weekend. I circled the side in red that isn't screwing in. This is showing inside the passenger door. Mirror on the other side.

Regulator Window out Crop2

I might aswell post the picture of when I swapped them over, incase anybody notices anything odd.

Regulator Swap Crop