Driving in France, automatic highlights?

Joetidman

Reaction score
I'm driving my S5 to France next week, and was under the impression that the satnav would detect I was there and adjust the headlights automatically so I don't blind people or get pulled over by the Fuzz, is that right? Do in need to do anything in the car when going abroad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The satnav would adjust it for you, below is a screenshot from Audi Manual

ed7aac5b3a7af9e84efb90e513605c2d.png

The new headlights (if not Matrix LEDs) have flat beams and therefore do not need to be directed to a particular side. Completely different if you have Matrix LEDs - you do not need to worry at all.

Does not the light and vision pack include matrix headlamps, it does on the A4....

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks guys, I've got Matrix LED's so I guess I don't need to do anything? I also read I have to take a spare pack of bulbs to France! No idea where I get them from, will maybe call hitchin Audi and ask

Thanks guys, I've got Matrix LED's so I guess I don't need to do anything? I also read I have to take a spare pack of bulbs to France! No idea where I get them from, will maybe call hitchin Audi and ask

I would imagine new LED lights will be exempt from the spare bulb thing as, if I'm correct, it requires the whole headlight to be replaced if an LED goes out as they're not designed to be replaced like bulbs.

Reactions: Joetidman

You won't need to do anything to headlights at all, even with our Xenon plus non Matrix LED's they are flat beam and need no adjustment, we took our B9 A4 through France, Spain and into Italy last year with no issues at all or people flashing due to being dazzled etc.

We didn't have any spare bulbs, as above wouldn't have thought spare bulbs is even feasible for new headlights, but we did have a high viz jackets for each occupant (not in the boot but available to each person from within the car) and also 2 x portable breathalyser kits (apparently you need a spare too). Having all those things the times we've driven across Europe in last few years we never got so much as a hint of any Police interest in approx 8k miles covered, but always best to be prepared and have the right things just in case.

Reactions: Joetidman and cuke2u
Excellent thanks everyone