DRL Switch To DRL with Coming Home Switch Conversion

***DK***

Reaction score
Fitted this today so here is my guide to what I did. This was on my s4 2007 B7 Cab.

DRL only to DRL and Coming Home Switch

Note: Needs light sensor pre-fitted OR VCDS recode 09 Central Elec, change code and make sure 2nd digit is a 1 (1 being light sensor fitted/0 not fitted). This will make the CH lights work during the day as well but that doesn't really matter. You will also have an error on the vcds as you don't have a light sensor but it will still all work ok.

Note: This was with a non-auto light switch. If you have the auto light switch, you may need to do something different to the below.

1) Order a DRL with Coming Home Switch from Audi. Part number 8E2 919 094 D. (About £28)

2) Buy 2 repair wires. The thin yellow wires. You can buy from eBay or at Audi. Part number 000979009. (About £2 each)

3) Undo the 3 bolts holding the underside of the steering wheel panel. One on the left, one on the right, and the third one is under the fuse panel. Just pop off the fuse panel on the right hand side using a flat head screwdriver.

4) Once bolts removed, just pull the panel out and lower it down to the floor. I didn't need to unplug the vag connector or light. But I guess you can if you need more room.

5) Take out the light switch by pushing it in and turning to the right, and pulling out at the same time. It just slides out.

6) Find the Fog Light wire coming out the light switch. On mine it was the green and white wire. I found it by testing for current on each wire while the switch was plugged in, then put the fogs on and off until I found the wire that went on and off. Remember this wire.

7) Look up under the steering wheel so that you can see up at the central electric module. The module has about 3 plugs into it. You need to remove the 32pin plug, its on the right at the back. I removed the black square plug in front of it for easier access as well.

The 32pin plug is held in by a lever style lock/clip. You have to carefully pull the straight end down using a screwdriver or something. Once down it will lever out the plug from its socket. As usual, little amount of cable to play with.

Next, slide the flat purple side panel down and the white pin connector block slides out from the case.

Photos of the connector can be seen on this thread, see from "connector close up" at the top of the thread. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...terface?p=6793688&highlight=xenon#post6793688

8) Slide a repair wire into pin 24. The block is marked on one side with a 1 in the corner to mark pin 1 and 17 on the other side corner, so just count along from the 17 until 24.

9) Take out the DRL switch, it just pulls out with a little pressure on the metal side clips that hold it in. Look at your new one and you'll see the side clips I mean. Once out, unplug it. You now need to pop out the connector block from the plug housing in order to access the pin holes. To do this, carefully pry the block out the inside of the housing using a flat head screwdriver down the side. I also cut the mini wire tie to allow easier access. Once you apply a little pressure it should just pop out.

With the block out, connect the other end of the repair wire that you put in pin 24 of the central elec module, to Pin 7. You need to look at the housing as it has numbers on it.

Connect another repair wire into Pin 2.

10) Connect the other end of Pin 2 repair wire to the Fog Light wire coming out the light switch. As above, mine was the green and white wire.

To do this for the time being I just pushed it tight into the side of the pin where the wire goes into the block. It seemed to hold strong. You could of course properly connect along the wire.

11) Put the central elec block back together and plug back in along with any other plug you pulled out to gain access.

Plug in the new DRL/CH switch and plug in the light switch again.

I would leave out for now just to test in case you need to redo a connection.

12) Put keys in ignition and turn on. Test DRLs.

Hopefully all ok

Then keys out, turn the CH switch on, then shut door, lock door, then unlock. Fog lights should come on for about 15 seconds and go off.

13) Reassemble

14) Probably want to upgrade fog bulbs to white as the originals on mine are yellow and look terrible.

15) Also may investigate whether I can connect the DRL bulbs up to come on with the Fogs as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
61f7ffb231460b82c069e1a30fe254c4.jpg

09bd4ecd156444bbb2064032874f612d.jpg

ec65c4644f8f57c78ed4f0aac449eec3.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
Hi Darren,

Great work! Sorry for bringing this post up again. (I read your link to this on another post)

Do you have pictures of the finished product? Front of car perhaps.

Dan.

I'll take some and post up. Pretty much just looks like fog lights are on for a few seconds on their own without any drls. At the rear, the rear lights stay on for the same duration.

No worries. The fogs are bulbs from Tups of this forum. They are actually white looking but came out a bit blue on the photo. I upgraded the side lights and DRLs to white LEDs which then made the fogs look horrible as they old yellow light from the original bulbs, so I changed them. Also changed the interior bulbs to white LEDs.

No worries. The fogs are bulbs from Tups of this forum. They are actually white looking but came out a bit blue on the photo. I upgraded the side lights and DRLs to white LEDs which then made the fogs look horrible as they old yellow light from the original bulbs, so I changed them. Also changed the interior bulbs to white LEDs.

Thanks! Yes, I know Trups also. Oh I see, so it means they are about 5000k then in reality which is OEM white. Up against 6000k leds they will indeed look yellow and outdated.

Even though I have a B6 cab with different shaped headlights, I too have updated the side lights to 6000k LEDS's with 6000k Xenon dipped beams to match. Surprisingly, they match perfectly!

Ive just order some high powered LED fogs which should now compliment the above. I'll hopefully install them quickly this weekend and show you.

The long and short of it is, no weird colour mis-match all looking quite high end :)

Quality upgrade to LED interior bulbs! (i have a pack of these waiting for me to install)

Hey folks,
Does anyone know if this can be done to non xenon headlights?
I have enabled "drl's" with my vcds on my B7 and it works (all the time ignition is on) but i have no switch to turn them off. I messed about with vcds to try and get CHL's enabled but so far ive had no luck.
With non xenon's i only have the headlight height adjuster switch.
If i fitted this "CHL-DRL" switch i would lose the height adjuster which is no great loss but just wondered if anyone can help