Droning noise - wheel bearing??

Robbe

Reaction score
Need some advice. i have a 2014 black edition avant multitronic that has done 28,000 miles. yesterday i notice a droning noise coming from the front when on the motorway when we were on a long journey. Not the you can hear the noise when the car gets about 20mph and its a constant drone, almost like a low flying plane. there are no errors on the dash, no vibration through the steering wheel, the tyres have plenty of tread.

My gut feeling is that its a wheel bearing, but should it suddenly start making a noise. earlier this week there was no noise and the car hasn't done that many miles. So it is a wheel bearing?

Will take it into Audi on Monday and as the car is still in warranty hope that any issue will be covered.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Had the same issue in my golf after clipping a kerb. The drone gets nosier the faster you go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Best way to check it is to Jack the car up one corner at a time and spin the wheel up by hand with the other hand on the shock by the spring. If it's the wheel bearings you will feel a rumbling through the shock.

Currently away from home so no way of jacking the car up ATM. Just hope it ok for the 180 mile journey home.

Have you had the car from new? They normally go at 60k.

Had the car from new. Guess have to take it easy on the way home and see what audi say when they look at it. If it is a wheel bearing it should be covered by the warranty.

Just odd how it's suddenly appeared.

Mine went on the way home from Inverness to Norfolk so you should be fine. Didn't hold back. Drivers was blue with no grease and passenger was borderline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a wheel bearing, Iv done both my fronts in last 2 years but higher mileage than you first at 60k second at 80k

Run it up to speed knock it out of gear see if noise stays, rev it a few times out of gear at speed is noise stays constant it's prob a bearing

I noticed with mine although it is Quattro you can't get enough spin on the wheel when jacked up to hear anything so I just let it develop a bit until it was bad enough to identify the side then I changed it

Reactions: Meemo
This was a duff front wheel bearing on my B8. This had been getting steadily worse for a few weeks. I tried jacking the car up and spinning the wheels and they sounded fine. With no load on the wheel there's no noise. On my car you could tell it was the drivers side rather than the passenger side. I have had wheel bearings go before where you could make them rumble louder when cornering because of the extra load on the outside wheel, but it made no difference on my car.
The people at midland VW put the car on the ramp and they used a mechanics stethoscope on the back of the hub whilst the wheel was spun. Apparently you can here a bad bearing then. I suspect mine went noisy because I hid quite a pothole on the drivers front about 2 weeks before I first hear the noise.
The shock can chip a piece out of the race or put a flat on some of the balls.

Reactions: Meemo and Chop.
Car is back from Audi and the noise was the drivers side wheel bearing. Was replaced under warranty and no noise. So am happy that it's all fixed.

Reactions: Chop.
Happy days

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk