Drying cloths + Wax prep

Adam14

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having just cleaned the car today, felt the need to get advice from the various people on this forum. When drying my car I currently use a Auto finesse aqua deluxe drying towel, which whilst it does dry, it leaves shed loads of lint / fluff on the car, which is highly annoying. I've washed it a few times and the lint remains.

So looking for suggestions for various drying cloths, a main towel for the car body, one for door jams and lower areas of car and one for wheels.

Also with us heading into autumn I'm thinking of waxing my car for the first time. So looking for suggestions on tar remover, fallout remover and clay bars in order to prep my car. I've currently had good recommendations for the above from Amdetails.

Apologies for the long post, thought it best to ask all questions in one post.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I use the same drying towel mate how are you washing the towel as this can affect the microfibre in the towel ie linting, and all drying towels leave some form/trace of fibre when drying, only way to avoid the linting is use a drying aid ie a quick detailer of your choice, either spray it on the drying towel or on to the car, this reduces friction between the paint and towel thus minimising linting.
Bilt hamber korrosol for a fall removal, tar remover? Angelwax one is great as are most of them but don't spend too much on these
You'll need a pre wax cleanser =Dodo juice lime prime light is one of the best
Wax well there's a bucket load of them out there so it's budget dependent mate Fireball fusion wax, Autoglym UHD wax are pretty unbeatable but both are pricey

I use the same drying towel mate how are you washing the towel as this can affect the microfibre in the towel ie linting, and all drying towels leave some form/trace of fibre when drying, only way to avoid the linting is use a drying aid ie a quick detailer of your choice, either spray it on the drying towel or on to the car, this reduces friction between the paint and towel thus minimising linting.
Bilt hamber korrosol for a fall removal, tar remover? Angelwax one is great as are most of them but don't spend too much on these
You'll need a pre wax cleanser =Dodo juice lime prime light is one of the best
Wax well there's a bucket load of them out there so it's budget dependent mate Fireball fusion wax, Autoglym UHD wax are pretty unbeatable but both are pricey
Hmm. I just wash at 40 degrees with no chemicals. I'll try your tip next time, got some dodo juice quick detailer.

Thanks for the other recommendations I'll look into them :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hmm. I just wash at 40 degrees with no chemicals. I'll try your tip next time, got some dodo juice quick detailer.

Thanks for the other recommendations I'll look into them :)

Chemical guys drying aid is really good mate but not all quick detailers can be used as a drying aid

Reactions: Adam14
Probably a bit excessive but I buy these Costco ones, use them once, then they’re retired from car drying duty.

Paired with Autoglym Aqua Wax.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-...ltra-Plush-Microfibre-Towels-36-Pack/p/713160
Funnily enough I've bought these before and found the drying to be pretty naf. Leaves behind water, gets the bulk but leaves water imo. Although do use these to apply cleaning products, like plastic cleaner and leather cleaner.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

My method which I kind of made up but seems to work really well -

I first use either a Gtechniq MF2 zero scratch drying towel or a Kent extra large drying towel (both are good) and just ‘rest’ it on the panels to dry the thick of the water, no rubbing or anything I literally just place it on. I then use Gtechniq QD as a drying aid/gloss enhancer by spraying each panel then dry/buff off with a Gtechniq MF4 diamond sandwich drying towel. The latter towel being a real quality product, it doesn’t really have a lint to it like the big fluffy towels, it leaves a great finish.

My method which I kind of made up but seems to work really well -

I first use either a Gtechniq MF2 zero scratch drying towel or a Kent extra large drying towel (both are good) and just ‘rest’ it on the panels to dry the thick of the water, no rubbing or anything I literally just place it on. I then use Gtechniq QD as a drying aid/gloss enhancer by spraying each panel then dry/buff off with a Gtechniq MF4 diamond sandwich drying towel. The latter towel being a real quality product, it doesn’t really have a lint to it like the big fluffy towels, it leaves a great finish.
Awesome thanks mate! Appreciate the info! I think I'm going to end up getting a "rag company" drying towel and getting an air blower to help! But will use these tips too!

Reactions: Pook
Drying is the most annoying process of the cleaning routine. IMHO. The worst part.

Like most been using 2 x extra large drying towels (5ft x 3ft) + smaller towels for edging etc.

Gone back to using a T-Bar blade on the large flat areas first. Then mopping up with above.

But use this with EXTREME CARE!

It speeds up the drying process in the cooler months.

Agree this will not be everyone's cup of tea.

I bought one of those blade things, before I bought the quality super absorbant towel I have now. Not really seen the need to use it plus worried about scratching of course..

Think I'll just get a couple more rag company drying towels for the lower areas and invest in a blower to help dry the annoying areas like mirrors, lights and front grill.