DSG and Longlife Servicing Questions

Simmo_Sportback_S_Line

Reaction score
Hey Folks - well bought my A3 just under a year ago and it was on 28k, the selling dealer serviced the car and it is on the Longlife regime, the book has two longlife stamps in the book, the car is now on 40k and is currently at Poole Audi getting the DSG Oil changed, they were great BTW, price matched the local independent at £175 inc VAT and gave me a lovely A5 Cabrio as a courtesy car.

Whilst there they have also taken care of a couple of warranty issues that I have had but also mentioned that the Engine Oil could do with topping up and wanted to charge me £20 for the privilege, I know the 5w30 Edge oil can be had for £10 a Litre so will just take care of that myself.

I suppose my main question is when will I need the next service i.e engine oil change etc? I'm really not sure on the longlife regime and it's merits so may change the car over to fixed interval, however I kind of begrudge paying £150 for an Oil and Filter change that I could do myself for around £50!

Cheers

Hi mate,

If you're capable, why not change it yourself mid-term! Then let Audi do the honours again at their recommended interval. You don't have to tell them you've done an extra change & you'll keep your FASH.

I'm 9 months into ownership of a car that had 27,000 miles when I bought it, it now has 34,000 miles and I got 2 years free servicing also! I have similar concerns about the Longlife servicing plan, but the blurb that came with the warranty says 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first), I'll push for an oil change when a year rolls around & switch to yearly changes after that, but if they refuse, I'll do it myself for peace of mind.

I did exactly the same as Artemus suggests. I followed the official longlife service regime and let Audi change it every 18000 miles or 21 months or so and I changed the oil & filter myself (with full VW longlife spec oil) halfway inbetween.

That way I got a full Audi sservice history and also ensured the best lubrication for the engine. (I kept the intermediate receipts in case anyone asked when I sold it, but I ended up trading it in anyway, so the dealer just wanted to see the service book...)

Hi mate,

If you're capable, why not change it yourself mid-term! Then let Audi do the honours again at their recommended interval. You don't have to tell them you've done an extra change & you'll keep your FASH.

I'm 9 months into ownership of a car that had 27,000 miles when I bought it, it now has 34,000 miles and I got 2 years free servicing also! I have similar concerns about the Longlife servicing plan, but the blurb that came with the warranty says 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first), I'll push for an oil change when a year rolls around & switch to yearly changes after that, but if they refuse, I'll do it myself for peace of mind.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Just picked the car back up from the stealers, bought a oil filter (£6) sump plug (£1) and a fuel filter (£2X), then got myself 5 litres of Edge Professional 5w-30 for £45, bargain! I will drop the oil tomorrow but after checking my service history the fuel filter was done at 28,000 so I will just hang on to that and change at 48,000.

Got back in the A3 after driving the A5 and it felt really old and clunky :(