DSG Filter Change - Can I do it without changing the oil?

Minstadave

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I you can change the DSG filter without changing the oil? I'm pretty sure Audi just changed the oil last time I had it in for service ages back, would give me some peace of mind if I could change it for a fresh one.

To be honest mate if they left the old filter in and you have run the new oil through it then you really need to change both again. The price of a DSG failure is just not worth the risk. Oil and filter should be changed ever 40k miles.

I work for the company that manufacture the filters and they are designed to last for at least 80k miles and more than one oil change, unlike standard panel type filters they won't release particles back in to the fluid so you should be safe. That said however as these are cheap in comparison to the oil and gearbox beats me why they don't just change both??!

They should have changed both, I asked them too, but looking back at the invoice its not on there.

Last edited:
I work for the company that manufacture the filters and they are designed to last for at least 80k miles and more than one oil change, unlike standard panel type filters they won't release particles back in to the fluid so you should be safe. That said however as these are cheap in comparison to the oil and gearbox beats me why they don't just change both??!

Are you saying the DSG does not "hold" oil in its filter once the box is drained then ?

Are you saying the DSG does not "hold" oil in its filter once the box is drained then ?

What it does hold is on the down stream side of the filter and should in theory be clean, also not knowing the exact service method the filter may well be removed and drained before being refitted, if you think about it it will be no different than any oil trapped in the gearbox that doesn't come out when it's drained, once it's used like your engine; any oil changes will always end up containing some of the previous oil. All that said though my end comment still stands if you they are changing the oil why not just replace the filter anyway it's really not that expensive