DSG gear knob swap?

Lewbo

Reaction score
i have a 57 plate a3 dsg with the chunky gear knob and button on the side, is it possible to swap it for the new style s3 round one with button on the front am sure i seen a thread showing step by step before but cant remember.
thanks.

Yes it is possible there is on a thread on it somewhere. I've done it, I've got the TT-S one now :wub:

DSC_1286.jpg

NHN did it. it's not without risk because if you mess it up you need to swap out the whole shift mechanism which will cost £1k or more.

your shifter will have a little plastic stick underneath with a hole in it that the button goes through, from east to west (or west to east for LHD cars). for the new shifter the button is on the front, so the hole needs to go north to south. you need to lightly warm the plastic stick and then twist it so that the hole is in the right orientation.

i'm interested in this mod, but i certainly won't be doing it myself. not with £1k on the line!

There was a group buy over at the New India colony and of the few that said they did the install, a few of them snapped the shaft, even though they knew they had to be real real careful. So it is not a very rare experience.

Does anyone know where this Thread can't find it, and the full
Mechanism is nowhere near a £1000 it's 300 with discount I had to buy one for my last a3. I am
Willing to have a go at this. Thanks.

Hi from Madrid!

Thank to the pics and advices from NHN, I've got my S-tronic knob swapped last week.

Here some pictures of before (pic from 2006):

DSC02109.JPG

After:

2ijrq1g.jpg

1zgde6t.jpg

a1k5s9.jpg

vcvvc3.jpg

ivztic.jpg

24o2a87.jpg

I hope you like them. BTW, I love this forum! :)

Cheers,
galanot

that looks MILES better...

i notice you've had MY10 RNS-E and extended leather fitted too! how much did all that set you back lol

and you've fitted a facelift climate unit. i've done the same to my MY06, but apparently they're not meant to work. have you had any issues with yours?

Last edited:
that looks MILES better...

i notice you've had MY10 RNS-E and extended leather fitted too! how much did all that set you back lol

and you've fitted a facelift climate unit. i've done the same to my MY06, but apparently they're not meant to work. have you had any issues with yours?

Hi! My original RNS-E was stolen a year ago, so the insurance payed for a new one (2010 model) :)
The leather mod for extenders was 60€ each one.
No issues with new climate unit. I bought it thru ebay and was just plug and play. What kind of problems do you have with it?

i don't. mine was plug and play as well, but it's only meant to work on late '07 cars onwards. our cars have an older climate system and apparently the newer unit isn't meant to work

i don't. mine was plug and play as well, but it's only meant to work on late '07 cars onwards. our cars have an older climate system and apparently the newer unit isn't meant to work

I see. My car is MY06 and had no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky :)

would like to get this for my 07 Sb 2.0TDI DSG, am I setting myself up for a headache? there is a nice S3 knob, gaiter and handbrake on ebay at the moment although I'd prefer an S tronic label or S line rather than S3

can be done with heat and twist
or
cut, pin vise, micro screw

either way is easy but IMHO the cut, pin vise, micro screw works the best without the inherent risk of breakage with heat. Many of us on this side of the pond have done both techniques after learning from the pros on your side who provided us with all the R&D

or

either way is easy but IMHO the cut, pin vise, micro screw works the best without the inherent risk of breakage with heat. Many of us on this side of the pond have done both techniques after learning from the pros on your side who provided us with all the R&D

Thanks,

Would anyone have some part numbers for the gearknob and aluminium surround for a 07 A3 SB 2.0TDI DSg?

I wanted to replace the aluminium trim aroundthe gear gaiter as it's chipped. So i found both parts but they are from an A3 cabrio.

Would it fit ok?

or

Could you explain what 'cut, pin vise, micro screw' is please?

I'd like to do this mod but the heat and twist technique puts me off :)

Could you explain what 'cut, pin vise, micro screw' is please?

I'd like to do this mod but the heat and twist technique puts me off :)

Many people in the colony tried the heat and twist approach, but ended up breaking the shaft, thus they had to resort to drilling a small hole in the shafts as a guide hole and put a small headless screw to hold the 2 broken pieces together. The suggestion to cut the shaft and put it back in place with the aforementioned screw would be the most direct approach.

You can take your chances with the heat & twist, but once it breaks, the shafts are not as straight as it use to be, so it could be a little harder to work with.