DSG Gearshift Knob red plastic ring?

Gruffalo

Reaction score
I noticed the plastic red ring is broken on my dsg gear knob.
Does anyone know if you can disassemble this somehow and replace the red ring. It seems silly to have to replace the entire shifter.
IMG 20220619 221257

Just refit it if you haven't lost, you won't notice any join.

It's fun to strip apart trust me done quite a few times.

Just refit it if you haven't lost, you won't notice any join.

It's fun to strip apart trust me done quite a few times.
Unfortunately I don't have the broken off bit. I bought the car used (Audi Approved Used) and have only just noticed this now

Need a replacement gearknob as ring isn't available separately.

Looks like a job for 3d printing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I did. I only had black PLA so after printing I sanded, painted red and lacquered then fitted. I measured the original, designed a quick 2 piece part in freecad and printed it at 99% 100% and 101% scales at the highest quality. Took about 30 mins to print.

End result is acceptable. I could sand it back further and make it perfect but it looks fine, you wouldn't notice it had been replaced unless I pointed it out.

@Gruffalo - Since these fail so regularly have you considered printing and painting a batch to sell? I’d be interested.

If the originals crack due to heat then 99% might last longer as they aren’t loadbearing?

Last edited:
I suppose I could refine the model a bit further and see if I can get it so it doesn't need so much tinkering afterwards.
If I can get one that literally just needs painted I'd be happy to post them to anyone for the price of a stamp and they could paint them themselves.
FYI I used Misano Red touch up paint and High Gloss nail polish lacquer afterwards.

IMG 20220810 183902

Reactions: Alex.S3, Sandra and JohnM100
Good call re nail polish.

The original reminded me of Rover Nightfire Red. I doubt that’s easy to find these days - maybe ChipEx?

Reactions: Gruffalo