DSG issues...

M

mjr901

Right, every so often I lose all power as if it's just not engaged the gear. but if I roll to a stop and stick it in neutral and then back to "D" hey presto, normal service has resumed. it's happened 3 times in about 5 months.

its happens when Im just pulling up to some lights for example....then the lights change as I'm still rolling...and it doesnt give me any power at all. just sits and will rev? It's a very rare occurrence but one I'd like to sort really.

i do have a habit of switching to manual mode alot, of which I think this is where the problem occurs but can't remember for sure...

cars a 61 plate S3. 6.5 on clock.

don't tell me... mecatronics unit..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently stage 2 haha. they'll probably just laugh in my face.

prob best doing a scan first i guess. it rarely happens, and if it does, it's when ive been in manual...then to D...then to Manaul etc. I get bored sometimes....

I probably just confuse the system by messing about with it too much.

You got a dsg map by any chance mate? If not is it going into "limp" when the gearbox torque limit is reached.....? Although from what youre saying it sounds like it's dropping into neutral doesn't it?

that could be it as its only upon accerlation....and it does seem to have bags of torque...

next month should be stage 3 and dsg map included so we shall see I guess! :)

Can you not re-instate the stock map and take it to AUDI for a check up anyway?

I didn't buy the sts device....so that's a fair ball ache for me tbf....plus I have all the bolt ons.... bar the pump...which should arrive tomorrow...

torque limiting I think it is now I think about it. I'll get it fully checked at shark next month to see what it is.

N8 also found that my headlights are coded for the A3 cab and it wouldn't change? odd really as its not the cab...s3 hatch..

I didn't buy the sts device....so that's a fair ball ache for me tbf....plus I have all the bolt ons.... bar the pump...which should arrive tomorrow...

torque limiting I think it is now I think about it. I'll get it fully checked at shark next month to see what it is.

N8 also found that my headlights are coded for the A3 cab and it wouldn't change? odd really as its not the cab...s3 hatch..

Good luck:icon_thumright:

My lights are coded for cab as well. Very strange!

I have all the parts to go back standard if need be. so if manure has hit the fan, back to standard....for 10 mins...

False neutral happened twice yesterday!!!

Once when i stopped very quickly in Manual mode and later on it happen pulling into to a T junction! WTF!

Hasnt happened in ages! Very strange.

Strange...

There was a recall for some DSG Golfs that did this - it was a sensor on the gearbox.

I have had this myself in mine. Not had it for ages though so not an issue....yet.
61 plate on a Shark stage 1 with DSG map. Shark offered to have a look but I have not yet managed to 'force' the fault so i can just show up and let them see it.
As you say, the car is always rolling slightly up to a junction or roundabout and just sits in neutral long enough for you to sh1t your pants and end up halfway onto the roundabout where all the traffic is! I tend to now let the car sort itself out when coming to s standstill whether I am in M or D mode. I find changing down makes it more confused. For me it is better to anticipate and have it already in gear, or just let D do its job. In the year I have had my car this has only happened around 4 times and 2 of those were like a week apart. I just cannot be bothered to try and replicate it or force it to happen as for me it is not a major issue. It is an issue, it shouldn't happen I know.

Make a Google search on "mechatronic unit failure"

The recall was up to 09 or something.

99% certain in my experience, its when I'm in manual mode (most of the time) and instead if going up to the junction and changing down the gears one by one, I leave it to select the right gear relative to the speed I'm doing.

This then confuses it when I get back on the loud pedal, so it goes on strike, and gives me revs but no go. (ie false neutral)

It's like if I'm going a bit to slowly for 3rd, and a bit fast for 2nd it doesn't know what to do in M mode sometimes, so "sits on the fence"

Have you tried doing dsg calibration?