DSG owners....

Kriminal

Reaction score
What are your opinions regarding the DSG system in the A3 ?

Any 'fors' and 'againsts' regarding it ?

It's just that I'm still on the hunt for an A3 Sportback S-line (2.0 TDi), and there seems to be a few coming up, but they're classed as either automatic/auto clutch/S Tronic. I understand the automatic could purely mean that, and it's not paddle-shift.

So whaddya think ? Was it the right move you made, or do you regret not having a manual gearbox ?

Thanks in advance

Yeah i love mine, can be hesitant pulling away from a junction but you get used to it. Brilliant on the motorways, just drop it down on the paddle and overtake!

DSG cars are always called Auto, If your looking for a TDi all Auto TDI's are DSG. Dont get confused with the S-tronic. They are DSG too, just VAG decided to keep the DSG name for VW and make it sound more upmarket for Audi so arround 2007 they just changed the name.

Automatic A3`s only come with the DSG gearbox. So all have the paddle-shift. I don`t recall any tip-tronic A3`s

Mine is a manual but i would swap to a DSG in a heartbit. It`s so easy and smooth!!!

Automatic A3`s only come with the DSG gearbox. So all have the paddle-shift. I don`t recall any tip-tronic A3`s

Mine is a manual but i would swap to a DSG in a heartbit. It`s so easy and smooth!!!

I think early cars 2003-2005 were available in a normal Auto but they all had the 2.0 FSI petrol in them. Lame engine/gearbo combo, think it was only on the SE too so they have wood trim to make it worse!

Your right with diesels though, all are DSG

The DSG is excellent if you want a auto version of the A3. I would go further and say if your looking at a low rev diesel then its even better than excellent.
I have a 3.2 DSG and like the S3 it tends to plomp itself in 6th very early in Auto mode. Can be a bit of a pain but you get used to holding it in other gears with throttle response and paddles if you want. I have had a 2ltr diesel A4 DSG loan car for the last 6 weeks and that is the very best option because although it still heads for 6th as quick as it can its not nearly such a problem with the low reving torque diesel. Ideally petrol cars could do with a mode somewhere between S and D but thats not going to effect you.
You will just have to try one. ( DSG and S-tronic are the same thing)

Oh...and go for the 140 Quattro because if you go 170 you cant get Quattro and DSG , its one or the other.

Thanks for the all the replies already. It's kinda comforted me towards buying an A3 with DSG; I was a little concerned that I'm gonna not feel so 'in control' as I do with having the normal gearstick.

The one I'm looking at (at the moment) is on 06 plate with just under 30k on the clock, and it's a 140 (but no Quattro).

Would the 140 be sharp enough with the paddle-shift, or do you think it's more suited towards the 170 ?

I personally regret limiting myself to manual when looking for mine after driving a friends 2010 Ibiza Cupra which are all DSG.

Was really smooth, and dropping down a paddle and flooring it was great. Not sure that a 2.0 tdi A3 would be as quick/nippy, but certainly wish I had the ease of an Auto for the work run which involves some stop start traffic every morning!

Thanks for the all the replies already. It's kinda comforted me towards buying an A3 with DSG; I was a little concerned that I'm gonna not feel so 'in control' as I do with having the normal gearstick.

The one I'm looking at (at the moment) is on 06 plate with just under 30k on the clock, and it's a 140 (but no Quattro).

Would the 140 be sharp enough with the paddle-shift, or do you think it's more suited towards the 170 ?

Yeah dont worry about pushing for a 170, not worth the extra cash for me to be honest. The 140 is plenty good enough and if you get bored you can always chip it!

What car do you currently have?

I got bored of my A3 within about a week, heavier, slower, less revvy than my previous car, and lots slower. Reason I still have it is because I knew it would be all of these things prior to buying it, but cheaper insurance/running costs justified the buy!

I love my DSG, wouldnt change it! Had an auto Beama and this is far far better in so many ways. You wont regret getting one!

I'm one of those that didn't like it, it was never truely manual, it jerked about and had a delay when pulling away. It was useless in the snow and couldn't even get up my driveway, which was a massive 3ft of path from the road, i sold mine after becoming frustrated and bored with it after 6 months, although it took me a further 9 to find something i wanted. I would have serious concerns about its long term reliability and the failure of the mechatronic units seem to be on the increase. Oh and S Line suspension is horrible and I managed to get 37mpg out of it. I really wouldn't buy another DSG car, but appreciate everyone is different.

as many have already said i love my S-Tronic gearbox you get all the usual benefits of an auto plus improved fuel economy, seamless gear changes, faster 0-62 time and the manual mode is just brilliant combined with the paddle shifters. Things to be wary of..if your looking for a used Audi mine required a DSG transmission fluid change at 40,000 miles so check with the previous owner this has been done (should say in the service book) and if not it cost me around £180 inc of VAT just for the change..just something to bare in mind but it'll be the best investment you can make :) oh and the 170 is very very quick if you fancy a good turn of speed now and again...

I'm one of those that didn't like it, it was never truely manual, it jerked about and had a delay when pulling away. It was useless in the snow and couldn't even get up my driveway, which was a massive 3ft of path from the road, i sold mine after becoming frustrated and bored with it after 6 months, although it took me a further 9 to find something i wanted. I would have serious concerns about its long term reliability and the failure of the mechatronic units seem to be on the increase. Oh and S Line suspension is horrible and I managed to get 37mpg out of it. I really wouldn't buy another DSG car, but appreciate everyone is different.

Yes Steve is very much correct a non quattro S-tronic is hopeless in the snow! If you had a manual you could start the car in 2nd/3rd gear but with the S-tronic there's no way of doing this. You can only upshift when youve reached a certain point on the rev range.

But then all BM's are crap in the snow and how often does it snow ?

So very true, the disadvantage in the snow certainly shouldn't play a big part in your decision..its a minor inconvenience and to be honest not being able to get to work a couple of days a year is a good thing!

So true but for me was the final straw for my Beama, but the engine was missed! lol Got DSG and Quattro now and you watch, it wont snow next winter lol but im ready if it does!!! haa haha

I live at the foot of the North downs and i was the only one who got up the hill to work during the last snow in Jan.....and my boss has a scubie..lol

as far as i'm aware quattro + dsg + tdi was not available until quite late on, probably 2008

Ah! us 3.2 quattro DSGs are awsome!!!

sorry for going off topic, Sarah, what engine was in your 5 series? My dad's looking at a 535d sport and not sure what to really expect?

Mine was the 530d and was very spirited. If he gets the 535d that has the twin turbos (same engine as the 530d) and is awsome! Fuel economy isnt great but thats not really why you buy it. TBH this diesel engine is one of the best engines around. Its just the auto box that lets them down! Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Went for DSG on my S3 and absolutely love it. First car I have had with this type of gearbox but would not change back now to be honest

Mine was the 530d and was very spirited. If he gets the 535d that has the twin turbos (same engine as the 530d) and is awsome! Fuel economy isnt great but thats not really why you buy it. TBH this diesel engine is one of the best engines around. Its just the auto box that lets them down! Hope that helps.

thanks for the reply sarah, he's going from a 3.0 petrol X5 , so i think he will be over the moon with the economy!! I'll let you know what happens, if i'm not offshore , i'll try go along. A pal at work has a re-mapped 353d sport and raves about it.

Wow...Thanks for all the replies.:beerchug:

Dec : at present I have a TT, and so realise that there's gonna be a drop in the performance area. My main reason for swapping in is because I need something practical, and economical, as a) I need something that I can transport my Dad around in if his bone cancer gets any worse (although, all's looking well at the moment), and b) I have a job now where I have to drive a lot further than before, and so am looking for better economy. The A3 seems to tick all my boxes for what I'm after. I've always said it, and will stick by it, "if the TT did 0-62 in 10 seconds, I'd still have bought one, as I'm more interested in aesthetics than performance in cars"

I must admit I'm a tad <pinching fingers> concerned about the pulling away issue, as I do like something that can give me a better chance of getting off the line when necessary (not for racing, I hasten to add!). How much off an issue is it ?

Oh, and as for getting out in the snow being totally rubbish with the DSG, I'm not too concerned with that - the drive I have goes out onto an uphill lane.....I had minor issues with the TT and it's 'quattro' system, and eventually didn't bother taking it out when things got REAL bad as I'd rather have a car with panels than take the chance <hehe>.

I will miss the TT, but after having it for nearly four years I think a change is due, and I do love the pics I keep seeing on here with the A3's and S3's.

Hmmm....Edit : I've just been reading about 'issues' with the 'Mechatronics?' system, with the vehicle surging away from a standstill and ending costing huge amounts to be replaced....

(just as one off the example sites I've looked at...)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3968936

Have any off you had similar issues ? I'm starting to get a little 'iffy' about DSG after reading these things. :(

Last edited:
I have a 2010 Cabrio with S-Tronic and love it but find that he wants to live in the higher gears whenever possible and it Can be a little hesitant coming on to and out of roundabouts. Thats when in D mode. S Mode is a different story, love it but the engine breaking when slowing down can be a little jerky at times. It's all stuff that can be got used to tho. Overall I would not get another car without it now. Saying that, I had a 2009 Cabrio up until 2 months back, rejected it cus the S-Tronic was playing up all the time and leaving me without power when pulling out of turns and pulling on to roundabouts from standstill. Audi tried to fix it a number of times but nothing seemed to work.

Remember alot of times on Forums its used for help when things go wrong, it doesnt mean they go wrong alot. If the DSG does go wrong it can be costly and yes some have had Mechatronics issues. Overall, most have been ok. Just make sure its had its routine oil changes (every 40k) and that the cars had full service history. If you are really worried get a manual, me..., im happy I got DSG!

I think early cars 2003-2005 were available in a normal Auto but they all had the 2.0 FSI petrol in them. Lame engine/gearbo combo, think it was only on the SE too so they have wood trim to make it worse!

Your right with diesels though, all are DSG

Thats the one i have but got it chipped much more responsive now cant knock it

we have a TTroadster, its a mk1 buit its much better than the A3, the TT suspension is really soft compared to the S Line setup. Get a test drive and not a 5 minute one, try it in traffic, pulling away from roundabouts and stick it in sport and go around the twisties, i got mine after deciding DSG was brilliant but very quickly changed my mind. You may like it as others do, if it was me i'd go for an A3 Quattro, probably the 2.0T, my TDi was rubbish on fuel too.