dsg vs tip vs multi

onianbag

Reaction score
I know i'm taking my life into my own hands starting another dsg thread but how about this one:

i've had my 3.2Q dsg for a year now and love it to pieces. however i am looking for a change but heres the problem, dsg has ruined me - i can't see myself using a manual ever again. so this limits my choice of audis. i also want to keep quattro which presents me with another problem as the only A3 with both is the one i already have so, for example getting a 2.0tfsi and tuning it is out of the question.

i also dont want to wait 1year plus for the S3 if we ever get one.

so what about swapping platform to an a4 or other - how does tiptronic or multitronic compare to dsg?!

You can't get Quattro with Multitronic unfortunately. As for automatic, multi is the best choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

exactly the same as me, drove the multitronic and didn't like it, in fact drove a fair few auto's and they were all pants in comparisson to DSG so the A3 was my only choice.....................

I had a test drive in an A4 fitted with a multitronic box and quite liked it. I was hoping that Audi would add a similar box to the A3. But then they fitted the DSG to the A3. I drove that and it had all the good points of the multitronic and none of the bad points. It is, in my opinion, much much better than the multitronic. As I've said before - Probably the best gearbox in the world.

If you currently drive an A3 3.2Q DSG then you've already got the best - why change. If you feel the need for a new car, order another one the same.

thats a good point and something that i have thought about, its just that when i get a new car, i like something to be well, new! maybe i will have to stick out for the S3;(

[ QUOTE ]
thats a good point and something that i have thought about, its just that when i get a new car, i like something to be well, new!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that one.
Never had the same car twice (same manufacturer maybe,but not model).
I don't see how looking at the same dashboard,just newer and cleaner,would give me that 'new car thrill' at all.

I understand you like DSG,but surely you should check out the competition before ruling them out just because of a gearbox ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thats a good point and something that i have thought about, its just that when i get a new car, i like something to be well, new!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that one.
Never had the same car twice (same manufacturer maybe,but not model).
I don't see how looking at the same dashboard,just newer and cleaner,would give me that 'new car thrill' at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree, i've never been able to work out those people that trade in the same car for exactly the same car every two years!!! One bloke in Autocar went through three indigo blue golf 1.8T's... WHY!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Having had a A4 Cabrio with the Multitronic transmission and now an A3 with DSG I'd say that the differences are huge; though both approaches succeed with their objectives.

Multitronic
This is a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) with roots that go all the way back to the Daf Variomatic - who remembers them? Daf cars got bought by Volvo cars who also onwardly developed the technology. And several others including Ford have had a go too.

In the Daf cars it was a big V shaped rubber belt that ran between two split pulleys that could move apart or back together to provide a constantly variable drive ratio. In the Daf approach the belt had a life of around 30,000 miles and was pretty troublesome IIRC.

Audi's Multitronic uses a multi-link chain running in an oil bath and in place of the torque convertor in a conventional auto transmission it uses a multi-plate clutch (as does the DSG).

What's it like to drive with?
Well it seems weird at first - in acceleration the engine revs immediately rise to the max torque/power point and the car accelerates swiftly (no sensation of changing gear - because there are no gears). My Cabrio was a 1.8t and that seemed pretty quick for something that weighed close to two tonnes and the fuel economy amazing.

The Multitronics have a synthetic manual mode, the Cab could simulate a 6 speed manual - it was utterly pants. It just begged the question: Why?

The Multitronic is therefore very smooth, offers good economy and performance but lacks the fun of the DSG.

[ QUOTE ]

Multitronic
This is a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) with roots that go all the way back to the Daf Variomatic - who remembers them? Daf cars got bought by Volvo cars

What's it like to drive with?
Well it seems weird at first - in acceleration the engine revs immediately rise to the max torque/power point and the car accelerates swiftly

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a loan Multitronic A4 and found it awful,with the 2.0 petrol engine anyway.

The mono-tone engine note became very annoying and the revs it went to seemed to coincide with a rough patch in the range,which merely exagerrated the mono-tone drone to the point of unpleasantness.

'Manual' mode at least got rid of the sensation of driving a Volvo 343. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Volvo343_mb0001b.jpg

VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

I have, so far, had 5 A3s, but each one has been different from the previous one. The first 4 were all 1.8T Sports, the first one the original and the second one a face-lifted version.The 3rd was a special run-out version of the 8L but with much harder suspension and larger wheels which I did not like after a while. I changed it for an 'ordinary' 1.8T Sport and now I have an 2.0 TDI with a DSG.

All A3s - all similar but different. My current 8P 2.0 TDI is by far the best so far. As for my next car - well if I had to go out and buy another car tomorrow it would be another A3. As far as i am concerned there is nothing currently on the market that I would rather have.

Taxi! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What about an R32 (if you can stand the looks).
BTW, The S will be out in 6 months, I'd wait.

The only car that I've ever bought twice was a cobra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First one had a paltry 280bhp, second one had a rather interesting 480bhp.

Number 3 will be a scorching 600bhp from a 396 chevy, just need to save a few quid first.

Marriedblonde - you and I are obviously good customers for VW/Audi. Since 1976 all of my cars have been from either VW or Audi. Prior to my 5 A3s I had 5 Golfs, including 3 GTI's and a VR6, 3 Audi 80s and an Audi 90.

Also my wife, Jenny, is on her third VW Polo.

[ QUOTE ]
As for my next car - well if I had to go out and buy another car tomorrow it would be another A3. As far as i am concerned there is nothing currently on the market that I would rather have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely one of the thrills of being able to buy a new car is the trawling around dealers,test-driving and checking out all the alternatives for your dosh ?

To just walk back into the same dealer and order the same car is a bit like repainting your living room the same colour isn't it ?

Variety is the spice of life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Always loved the VAG brand, would have more of them when I was younger but cash restraints dictated otherwise...

I would have stuck with VW's as well apart from I think they are loosing the plot slightly with the mkV golf although I may still go and test drive a Gti.

I've also had a corrado G60, a rocco and a bay window camper...

Claire (just for clarification thats my wife) loves the VAG brand as well just always wants Jap, one day I'll convert her although I think an A4 Cab will do the trick but I think she may get miffed when I explain to her it's mine... but I change my mind about cars so I may have chosen something else by the time I get round to swapping out the A3

J.

Bowfer - at least I always like the cars I choose !

The thought of driving a car than I did not like for 3 or more years does not appeal at all. I know that if I buy another Audi, after test driving it carefully first, I am almost certain to like it and enjoy driving it.

I have test driven quite a few cars before and have not yet found anything in my price range that I would prefer.

[ QUOTE ]
is a bit like repainting your living room the same colour isn't it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just done that.
I happen to like the colour but not the marks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ragonian, what about a TT DSG or M3 CSL

i'm sold on audis for the moment. no other brand does it for me. i'm an official bmw hater - i dont care how well they drive or look (and they dont even look good anymore!), its the majority of people that drive them that puts me off.

audis blend of style and undertatement sits well with me, being a designer n all.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sold on audis for the moment. no other brand does it for me. i'm an official bmw hater - i dont care how well they drive or look (and they dont even look good anymore!), its the majority of people that drive them that puts me off.

audis blend of style and undertatement sits well with me, being a designer n all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't put it better myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

It'll take a Porsche to tempt me away from Audi......now where did I hide that money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Agree and disagree but well put.
TT is the most iconic designed car in the last 20 years, A3 is sweet (if a little underdressed IMO), but IMO the A4 sucks (except the RS and S).

I think the new 3 coupe will run rings around it.

..then we get on to the 1 series /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

enough said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer - at least I always like the cars I choose !

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like fighting talk, look-out !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I understand you like DSG,but surely you should check out the competition before ruling them out just because of a gearbox ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check out other auto's but have a feeling i'd be back to DSG one way or another, stick shifts seem sooo antequated to me now, apart from a fun toy car but not everyday with the stop start cack i have to put up with...........