Facelift DTUK Boxes

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
Anyone running an up to date DTUK box on their PFL or FL S3/A3? Had any problem with it? Reason I ask is after reading this post by @DJAlix

Further to the above, as we were on the subject of "flags" here is some interesting new information about number 4 from an Audi technical note:

--------------------
Detecting Tuning Boxes

Tuning boxes offer an opportunity for increasing the performance of conventional engines. They can be removed before a vehicle come into a workshop for repair.

Until now, it has not been possible to identify use of tuning boxes through automatic detection of modifications to the vehicle. The majority of these can now be detected by engine ECUs!

--------------------

Had planned to buy DTUK's tuning box & pedal box for my S3 FL when it arrives but if they can tell it's been in now I'm not sure I will.

I had been using DTUK CRD-T on my 62 plate A3 2.0d 150 > 180. Always took it off for services, think it had a recall update to software at some point too without ever any issues... selling mine now as I have an A4 in case anyone reading is interested :) it's in the for sale sections!

I had a dtuk on my s3 not long after I got my car had it on a dyno which it made okay power on a few different settings but the graph was all over the place since that I bought the jb1 which is totally different a lot smoother and my car went into Audi and it wasn't detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the best thing to do if you have any concerns about Audi discovering you've modified the car is not to do it, personally I think I'd only do it on one I owned and thats out of warranty.

What would happen if you put one on a car that was leased ? Like what can Audi do if there's no damage but find out ?

Reactions: Matt Titanium
I had a dtuk on my s3 not long after I got my car had it on a dyno which it made okay power on a few different settings but the graph was all over the place since that I bought the jb1 which is totally different a lot smoother and my car went into Audi and it wasn't detected.

I did the same, logged the air fuel ratios and they were horrible, running lean under high load, DSG hated it and all DTUK could say was well it must be ok it has been certified by TUV. Sold it and bought the JB1 and even though it was cheaper it is so much better. I now have the JB4 and that is another step up. I'm not getting into the tuning box warranty thing but if you want a good tuning box get the JB4 not the DTUK one

Sorry mate but this was only my experience, others may have had no issues but it scared me when it happened as i thought i was going to get wiped out when i couldn't get the car off the motorway because the tuning box failed (happened intermittently) and unfortunately the customer care was dire to say the least so that was it for me with DTUK.

All this anti-dtuk talk is scaring me now :blink:
If you're only keeping the car for a few years go for it and keep the settings low if there is nothing else proven about.

I'd email George as it might work, the jb1 only adds boost where you tell it to so if the harness matches you never know. At least the jb1 adds fuel so it doesn't run lean unlike the 3 plug solutions for the 2.0 and 1.8 engines

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just realised my mistake, oh well it might help someone. What have you already got a dtuk box and if so what engine?

Maybe different effects for different engines? Had mine for 3 years and worked great on 2.0d 150. Done a bit of research when I got mine and generally good experiences at the time.

Reactions: RSS-S3
Don't get me wrong they add power, just not from my experience in a friendly way to the engine

Reactions: batch and lenny151
I have had 2 DTUK boxes and havent had any issues, ive also Had good service from them.

Saying this though, I am open to total remapping now... Revo/apr etc. although there is lots of horror stories about them too!

What exactly was the issue experienced with a dtuk box!?

I have had 2 DTUK boxes and havent had any issues, ive also Had good service from them.

Saying this though, I am open to total remapping now... Revo/apr etc. although there is lots of horror stories about them too!

What exactly was the issue experienced with a dtuk box!?

Did you ever have your car on a dyno while running the dtuk?

Yes I did, it ran 2 ps higher than the qouted figures for my polo GTi and was 10nm lower than qouted.

Can you stretch to the MTM M-Cantronic? Probably the safest option out there for these. And superb performance too.

@batch - how is the MTM with the manual.
I am still faffing about either buying a JB1 (i would like to alter the boost) or MTM which I understand is simply plug and play and forget.............price is not a consideration. I cannae be rsed with the faffing that a JB4 would entail.

@batch - how is the MTM with the manual.
I am still faffing about either buying a JB1 (i would like to alter the boost) or MTM which I understand is simply plug and play and forget.............price is not a consideration. I cannae be rsed with the faffing that a JB4 would entail.
I'm S-Tronic mate so don't know. But the MTM uses the whole Canbus harness so is almost like a piggyback ECU - meaning it is a lot safer and more advanced.

The MTM is a better than any of the other boxes but you do pay quite a bit extra for it

My only concern would be with the stock clutch it will start to slip at some point with the extra power.

What was your dtuk issues ?

I had problems where the car cut out and wouldn't start until I removed the tuning box along with the graph when I had my car on the dyno the graph was all over the place, until I got the jb1 I noticed the difference between a good tuning box and a proper tuning box.

Nothing wrong with DTUK boxes, but its really unfortunate you had a **** experience from them!

No tuning box is going to act like a true remap, so they will alwaysdo the same thing and fool the engine into adding more boost+fuel... but glad you found a product that works for you.

Nothing wrong with DTUK boxes, but its really unfortunate you had a **** experience from them!

No tuning box is going to act like a true remap, so they will alwaysdo the same thing and fool the engine into adding more boost+fuel... but glad you found a product that works for you.
Of course a remap will always be better, if it's a good map.

The jb1 adds fuel, the dtuk relies on the cars fuel trim. Makes them quite different, plus BMS support the jb series heavily unlike dtuk

Ditto, this was the problem i had, would cut out without any notice, car simply wouldn't start.........and when this happens in the fast lane of a motorway you are pretty much screwed as removing the ox is the last thing on your mind!!!! Took it off and never had the problem ever again so DTUK saying it was the car and not the tuning box is absolute twoddle. On top of this the power delivery was to say the least poor, quite rough and jerky so not for me but as others have said they liked them, you pay your money and take your chance.

I had problems where the car cut out and wouldn't start until I removed the tuning box along with the graph when I had my car on the dyno the graph was all over the place, until I got the jb1 I noticed the difference between a good tuning box and a proper tuning box.

Ditto, this was the problem i had, would cut out without any notice, car simply wouldn't start.........and when this happens in the fast lane of a motorway you are pretty much screwed as removing the ox is the last thing on your mind!!!! Took it off and never had the problem ever again so DTUK saying it was the car and not the tuning box is absolute twoddle. On top of this the power delivery was to say the least poor, quite rough and jerky so not for me but as others have said they liked them, you pay your money and take your chance.

Of course a remap will always be better, if it's a good map.

The jb1 adds fuel, the dtuk relies on the cars fuel trim. Makes them quite different, plus BMS support the jb series heavily unlike dtuk

How does the JB1 connect up?

How does the JB1 connect up?
Both boost sensors, cam position sensor and fuel pressure rail.

The jb4 adds in canbus and can bias the air fuel so it can perfectly hold air fuel ratios

Hence why the MTM or Abt boxes are the best, they are pretty much a whole piggyback ECU.

Reactions: RSS-S3
Exactly the same was on a bypass near mine and it just lost power and then cut out and wouldn't start