Earth locations

Jimy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Washed the car over the weekend, took the car out for a drive and the ABS light come on, after about 20 miles the car died, lights went off, hazards didn't work, car was showing signs of a dead battery. Waited for about 2 hours for the aa by the time they turned up the car started and I drove home. On the way home the instrument gauges turned off but the car was fine. Next day car was fine but the gauges intermittently didn't work and the climate control back light was dim. After a few miles car sorted itself out.
Today it rained hard and the car broke down again with same symptoms. After being towed home the car started after about 2 hours of not sitting in the rain.
I'm thinking the skuttle pannel isn't sitting right and letting water in plus the rubber grommet for the bonnet catch cable is missing so water might have got in there.
My first point of call is to clean and check all the earth locations my question is where are they? I know there is some under the battery, under the steering wheel, under the skuttle pannel, behind the sub in the boot. Can anyone point me in a direction of a diagram please? Car was fine before I jet washed it and took off the skuttle. Scratching my head. Cheers

Hi all,
Washed the car over the weekend, took the car out for a drive and the ABS light come on, after about 20 miles the car died, lights went off, hazards didn't work, car was showing signs of a dead battery. Waited for about 2 hours for the aa by the time they turned up the car started and I drove home. On the way home the instrument gauges turned off but the car was fine. Next day car was fine but the gauges intermittently didn't work and the climate control back light was dim. After a few miles car sorted itself out.
Today it rained hard and the car broke down again with same symptoms. After being towed home the car started after about 2 hours of not sitting in the rain.
I'm thinking the skuttle pannel isn't sitting right and letting water in plus the rubber grommet for the bonnet catch cable is missing so water might have got in there.
My first point of call is to clean and check all the earth locations my question is where are they? I know there is some under the battery, under the steering wheel, under the skuttle pannel, behind the sub in the boot. Can anyone point me in a direction of a diagram please? Car was fine before I jet washed it and took off the skuttle. Scratching my head. Cheers
Diagram for what exactly? Have you checked the ecu for water ingress?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just want to know where all the earth locations are so I can check and clean them. checked the ecu and it seems fine. Just run the car round the block and now it's fine. No electrical gremlins.

Clearly it's water related, so you need to check all electrical points, ECU, grounds, main electrics etc.

Clearly it's water related, so you need to check all electrical points, ECU, grounds, main electrics etc.
Just checked the floor in the passenger side and it is slightly damp. The skuttle and clip that's bonded into the window wasn't seated properly. Just pulled the clip off the window and the grove is filled with crud. Going to clean it out, rebond to the window and fit the skuttle properly. Someone has done a really good how 2 on this forum. Car seems fine now but going to check all earth's ect got some nice weather coming so hopefully the car dries out

Reactions: MPH
Just checked the floor in the passenger side and it is slightly damp. The skuttle and clip that's bonded into the window wasn't seated properly. Just pulled the clip off the window and the grove is filled with crud. Going to clean it out, rebond to the window and fit the skuttle properly. Someone has done a really good how 2 on this forum. Car seems fine now but going to check all earth's ect got some nice weather coming so hopefully the car dries out
The scuttle panel leak very common good luck enjoy the good weather keep us updated of your progress all the best Mark.

Cheers Mark. The under and bottom side of the trim that's bonded into the screen is corroded. The aluminium has oxidised and the paint has flicked off. Do you think it will be OK to put back in with a small amount of silicone or do I try and source a replacement

Attachments

• 20220506_121158.jpg
    20220506_121158.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
Cheers Mark. The under and bottom side of the trim that's bonded into the screen is corroded. The aluminium has oxidised and the paint has flicked off. Do you think it will be OK to put back in with a small amount of silicone or do I try and source a replacement
1 would personally give it a thorough clean and rebond it taking note of its original position as I'm not sure if they are still available https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/scuttle-panel-removal-guide-with-pics.158887/ Scuttle panel part number 8L2 819 415 B just in case you need it!

Last edited:
So skuttle is back on. Car if fine. Tempted to run the hose over the screen to see if it's fixed.

Just pulled the battery out. Don't think the squashed wire and crud helps

Attachments

• 20220510_165143.jpg
    20220510_165143.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 20220510_164418.jpg
    20220510_164418.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220510_165145.jpg
    20220510_165145.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220510_165150.jpg
    20220510_165150.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
Needs a good clean up etc should be fine ! how did you get on with the windscreen?

Haven't tried the windscreen yet. waiting for the bonnet cable grommet and want to fix the electrical problem first. Just took the car for a spin after cleaning under the battery tray and still have major problems. Think my next step is to check all connections, fuses, and relays in the dash

Haven't tried the windscreen yet. waiting for the bonnet cable grommet and want to fix the electrical problem first. Just took the car for a spin after cleaning under the battery tray and still have major problems. Think my next step is to check all connections, fuses, and relays in the dash
That's a real b***** keep me updated & good luck

Right bit more progress this morning. Tested the battery voltage when the car was idling and voltage was only 12v. Left the car for 20 min to watch some you tube, done the same test and battery voltage was 14.5v. Turned the car off and back on was only 12v at the terminals. Tested the positive on the alternator and still 12v so that rules out the lead. Thinking its either the regulator or the alternator.

Right bit more progress this morning. Tested the battery voltage when the car was idling and voltage was only 12v. Left the car for 20 min to watch some you tube, done the same test and battery voltage was 14.5v. Turned the car off and back on was only 12v at the terminals. Tested the positive on the alternator and still 12v so that rules out the lead. Thinking its either the regulator or the alternator.
Sounds positive! regulator due to the varied voltage? But you are making good progress

Just finished changing the alternator and so far so good. No gremlins, battery charging fine. All is well and good. Thanks for your help. Just a coincidence the alternator went after I jet washed the car

Just finished changing the alternator and so far so good. No gremlins, battery charging fine. All is well and good. Thanks for your help. Just a coincidence the alternator went after I jet washed the car
Its my pleasure to be of any assistance I'm glad it's sorted out now all the best Mark

Reactions: Jimy