Ebay Double Din

rooksy

Reaction score
Hi guys, been debating getting one of these for a while. Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with one? Heres the link: http://bit.ly/SWFFHS

Cheers

That looks like a link I want to click! Just buy one from the dealer they are not that expensive (unless you have the cab version of the A4)

Have looked at similar units before but have always been sceptical of quality. Also people report issues with radio reception with non-OEM units, I think due to the lack of dual tuner? Still tempted to get one of this type, especially as by RNS 5.0 is playing up more and more frequently these days...

That looks like a link I want to click! Just buy one from the dealer they are not that expensive (unless you have the cab version of the A4)

What's different about the cab version??

I think we are now talking about different things, I figured the OP was talking about the double din cage but from you post it was about an aftermarket radio. (Never clicked on the link as it just looked like to would send you off to some unknown site...)

Last edited:
I have that unit for my A3, bought from that seller. It arrived missing a cable which I am still waiting for... But when I get that I should be good to go.

TBH I hear a lot of comments regarding the quality, I have had 2 chinese headunits prior to this. The first was a single DIN motorised, the second was a double DIN motorised GPS etc. Xtrons unit and the one you linked to is the same one Xtrons sell.

The build quality is good, not quite up to OEM but neither is the price... The software can let it down a bit i.e. the fonts and graphics used but the functionality is often better as there are less restrictions. Also I like the fact most run WinCE so you can replace the GPS software with one of your choice, I use iGO as it is my favourite. Usually there are far more input/output options too when compared to OEM.

Follow my thread in the ICE section as I will add pics, I will probably start a thread in the A3 section too once its in so anyone can ask me questions about it.

Reactions: Artimus
Just to note, my previous 2 chinese units were in working order, I sold the original one because my next car was double DIN, and I sold my last one as they make one specifically for the A3 so it's a perfect flush fit for the dash rather than having a bit sticking out :)

Dammit, I abstain from this forum for 6-months, I'm back for 1 day and now I want a new headunit... I think I have a problem

"Hi , I'm Joe and I'm an audi-holic"

/\ Agreed, I don't really listen to radio but DAB would tempt me. Also a shame they can't make use of the dual connection on the Audi but I don't think may (if any) aftermarket units do make use of this.

There is one on eBay which appears to have a dual antenna lead adaptor:

22AudiA4Stereo.jpg

No that this will give dual tuner functionality

I'm not sure how the HU would distinguish between the two connections, makes me wonder if that is just there to make the user feel good about it or if it actually utilises the two connections properly. I think the HU would need some sort of twin tuner but I must admit I haven't read up much about how it works in the OEM kit.

Over thing I will say, the text on the buttons was actually white rather than red which was a bit disappointing, but solid red May have looked tacky, the images have filters to make it look like red illuminated buttons. I think the twisty knobs have a red illuminated ring but can't say yet as my cable still isn't here!

Has anyone got, or seen, the A4 dynavin headunit (D-99 variant)? It's quite a bit more pricey than the others (£600) but it ticks all the boxes in terms of connectivity and functionality.

For that sort of price I could start looking at RNS-E units, but they don't have USB or built in bluetooth...

Also they have an offer at the moment for free Sygic UK & Ireland maps for the WinCE based version (Rather than Android)...

I'm very tempted!

Hi,

I've got a Dynavin D-99 Android in mine, I wrote a short review sometime ago, Link.... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-en...8-a3-pioneer-kenwood-dynavin.html#post1568647

10th post down.

Still going good but the iPod interface really annoys me. There is no ABC search, so getting to artist who's name begins with anything after M can take forever (I've got an 80GB iPod connected that's nearly full). Plus I can't believe that with a 7 inch screen to play with, they only display the titles, artists, track name, etc. in a small box in the middle of the screen that chops half of the words off. And don't get me started on the menus for playing SD's (I believe they have changed them on the D-99+).
*Rant over*

All in all though, not bad, has a lot of features, just none are very polished.

Thanks for the link to the review.

You say the steering wheel phone controls do not work, when I spoke to the guy at Dynavin earlier today he explicitly said that they would, even without the factory bluetooth module (I have MFSW, but no BT).

Have you got (or could you take :whistle2:) some pics of the truncated text you mentioned in the MP3 player mode? I don't have an iPod so am not worried about that connectivity/functionality, however it sounds like it's common to both. Is there no alphabetical search for USB/SD playback either?

I am under the impression that the D-99 model is the latest, but perhaps there has been an updated one which addresses the problems you raised. You mentioned a D-99+ variant?

The one on their website has a dual tuner, which should be the same as OEM quality. Also I'm concerned about your comments on the rear speakers not working correctly, again something which their sales support guy assured me wouldn't be a problem. I'm tempted to get one and if any of the above turn out to be true just return it...

TIA

Hi,

The steering wheel phone buttons defo don't work on mine. Maybe you have to code the car to think it's got the Audi Bluetooth module in (I've not tried).

Here is a picture of the truncated text in the iPod view (hope you can see it in the picture)
Dynavin1

I'll try to take a picture of the SD menu this weekend.
From the info I've read, the D-99+ has newer menu's for the SD and USB interface which is now like the style of the radio interface, which I like (Wish I had a D-99+), however I'm not sure about the alphabetical search, but there isn't one on the D-99.
Here is a picture of what the new interface for USB is supposed to be. (D-99+)
D99 plus usb

Be careful, I think most suppliers are still shipping D-99.

My Tuner is defiantly not as good as the OEM one, it easily looses signal strength even though I've tried a few different powered boosters. Again I don't know if this would be different in the D-99+.

Rear speakers were a bit of a pain to be honest. I was assured that the system was all plug and play but when you read up a bit about fitting an after-market headunit, this pops up a lot.
I supposed it 'was' plug and play but I couldn't put up with the rears being so quiet. So I ran some cables direct to the speakers from the back of the head unit. Later on I bought a Kenwood powered sub and this gave me all the bass I needed. (I have children so a bit to old for too much boom boom).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Attachments

• dynavin.jpg
    dynavin.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 268
  • dynavinlarge.jpg
    dynavinlarge.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 260
There's an optional DAB module, but £150...
Whilst that is a shocking price, and you can get a whole single-DIN radio with that function, you do have the benefit of having all the functionality in this car, and then once DAB becomes more than just a fad, you can get the DAB addition and keep the same level of functionality.

Dynavin UK have stopped selling the units because of the poor support they've got from the factory.

See Dynavin | Where Innovation Ends

Dynavin claim that "dynavin.co.uk" is not associated with them... dynavin

One word against another really. The guy I have been speaking to is from Dynavinstore.com, which is the official outlet. UK support etc.

Think I'm going to order one as that's really the only way to find out if they're any good or not.

Although it's £600, it has dual tuner (which should be as good as OEM), parrot BT (with ext mic option), RDS (some other similar units do not), actual 32Gb USB/SD compatibility.

If it's terrible I'm always covered by section 75 on my credit card

If everything on that page is true then why are they not taking legal action?

Sounds to me like a classic case of 6 of one vs. half a dozen of the other.

Who is to ay how much truth there is to it?

Ordered a unit and it should be here tomorrow. Will post a full review in a new thread after a few days

Fitted the Dynavin... removed the dynavin.

Rear speakers didn't work, radio reception was non-existent, sound clipped at med-high volume, no exit from video playback. If everything had worked I would've stuck with it, but given the output clipped at high volume that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I also had to remove the glovebox, driver side lower dash, heater controls, ashtray, cup holder & buttons just to remove the thing because all 4 clips broke off (seemingly as soon as it went into the dash). I'm considering saving for an Alpine XL and specific A4 fascia kit, but thats £1200...

Having now re-installed my RNS-Low, the radio reception on that is now also non-existent. Can anyone offer any advice as to why it might've stopped working? It won't pick up any of my presents or even the FM transmitter in the car??

Sorry to hear about this.

Re the aerial, confirm that the blue signal line to enable the aerial amplifier is active.
Next stage after that is the fuse for the aerial amplifier; if this is still OK (which is likely) you might just be able to detect the turning on of the amplifier by using the fuse meter (adapter) from Maplin (N50CY), but they don't consume much power.

But given that nothing will have changed in this area, I suspect the connector into the back of your RNS-L is suspect, and so needs cleaning.

I had the Xtrons TD716G in my last 2 cars and for the cost and features it was spot on, looked a bit ugly though. This time I have got their Audi A3 specific model and it looks very nice when fitted and the menus, fonts etc are far nicer than the 716. You can get A4 specific ones too, much cheaper on eBay than in their own website. I am just waiting to get mine up and running with my bose system, the headunit was missing the cable.

I had the Xtrons TD716G in my last 2 cars and for the cost and features it was spot on, looked a bit ugly though. This time I have got their Audi A3 specific model and it looks very nice when fitted and the menus, fonts etc are far nicer than the 716. You can get A4 specific ones too, much cheaper on eBay than in their own website. I am just waiting to get mine up and running with my bose system, the headunit was missing the cable.

Just had a look at the A4 specific model. It looks the part and as you said, is a lot cheaper on ebay (£300 vs £418). My only concern is the ebay model doesn't come with maps software. How much is that likely to set me back? Do you have any pics of the install in your A3?

Cheers

I bought it refurbished and it arrived with missing cables so after a lot of to'ing and froing I sent it back today and paid an uplift to get a brand new unit which is arriving tomorrow so if I have time I will fit it and get pics. The maps will be easy to get, if you are buying from blacksilvertech then you should receive maps but they will probably be igo8 (much better than the maps avertised on the Xtrons site). It runs on WinCE so you can easily change the sat nav software and update maps, speedcams etc. but igo8 is my personal preference.

oh and when it turned up the button text was white but in the dark they are illuminated red so fit in well with stock lighting in the A3. The majority of fonts on the device are very good unlike a lot of Chinese kit that uses horrible fonts. Also when it powers up there is the Audi ring so looks fairly OEM but has masses of features for very little cost and my flat bottomed multifunctional steering wheel works with it without configuration.

... and my flat bottomed multifunctional steering wheel works with it without configuration.
Interesting; I thought I read that it interfaces with analogue wheels, and AFAIK the MFSW is a canbus device.
What did you connect to what (and what interface boxes) to get the MFSW to work with this head unit?

I can't speak for the A4 unit but the A3 unit is canbus compatible, it comes with a red canbus box and everything just works :)

Reactions: Tolak
I made a mistake, the email I had about delivery today was the return I sent them arriving at their end today, but they said I will have the replacement tomorrow so fingers crossed!

Mines due Mon :beerchug:. I thought what the hell, it's only money!! Just don't tell her in doors :slapped: