ebay purchase

dipstic

Reaction score
Just a little question,Im looking at buying a secondhand CD player for my work Astra and as I want the genuine vauxhall item I have been waiting for a local item so I can collect it.One appears on ebay 10min drive away,so I email the seller to ask
A) has he/she got the code for it
B) If I win the auction can I collect (seems silly to pay £10 to post)

Yes to A
No to B

What do you reckon fishy or not
Item only going to be £60 + postage

which CD player are you looking for? CDR 500?

if yes, just let me know

What people usually do is slightly inflate the postage costs to cover the auction setup and selling fees from ebay. You'd be suprised what the fees can be like. Some people also dont like dealing face to face and having people a) come to their house, or b) have to meet up.

I am usually happy to do either cash on delivery/pickup or postage, but i do try to pass on some ebay costs within my postage.

abdus said:
which CD player are you looking for? CDR 500?

if yes, just let me know

Yes CDR500 to replace std tape player in a V reg Astra

I can understand various reasons for not wanting it collected but I have concerns that it may not work etc ,think I will pass on that one plenty more on ebay
Thanks all

If you need one, I can get in touch with someone who might have 2-3 units. With code

Send em a PM if interested. Trusted guy who sells excellent stuff. Cheers

Seems odd, I had a guy who bidded and won an item off me ages ago, he came to pick it up and still paid me for the postage, I gave him half back though, it was the right thing todo. :sly:

jojo said:
Seems odd, I had a guy who bidded and won an item off me ages ago, he came to pick it up and still paid me for the postage, I gave him half back though, it was the right thing todo. :sly:

Not to worried about the postage issue just the fact it was close to me

dipstic said:
What do you reckon fishy or not

Whats his feedback like?

Is it in full working order? (could be its knackered and hes planning on blaming Royal Mail.)

But then again, he might work strange hours or cant be ***** dealing with people, Ebay fees for a £60 auction would be about £4 so for some people this is quite a bit.

I sold some vinyl promos for next to nothing last week, wasnt too bothered as with the P+P it worked out to be a tenner which was ok. I could send it through work without it costing me anything, but the guy wanted to come pick it up in person so he got them for a bargain, tipped up in a new black A6 all suited and booted as well...git.

Just easy for me to collect as it was local to be honest odd ten quid not really relevant just be a lot peeved if it didnt work and the possible hassle that might go with it, quite happy to pay the postage even if I collected it (would have turned up in the astra dont want to be a git lol)

This is the kind of thing that's tricky about eBay. You always have to judge the situation based on what information you have and leave the rest to chance. I guess its the only downside of dealing on there.

I agree with all that's been said above about people sometimes not wanting to meet for privacy/security reasons, or just that it's inconvenient; but it always makes me think twice. I'll get cheeky and ask why not just to see how plausible the reason offered seems. I understand it from the other side too; I sold a sub on eBay a few months ago and four blokes turned up in a tired 3-series coupé to pick it up; three of whom were absolute grippers. Wasn't put off or particularly worried, but I did think that if they decided not to pay me there wouldn't be much I could do about it!

Thankfully I guess the dodgier situations on eBay are rare, and you've just got to collect as much information as possible and be as sensible and logical as possible when deciding situations...

Regards,

Rob.

FactionOne said:
I understand it from the other side too; I sold a sub on eBay a few months ago and four blokes turned up in a tired 3-series coupé to pick it up; three of whom were absolute grippers. Wasn't put off or particularly worried, but I did think that if they decided not to pay me there wouldn't be much I could do about it!

When I sold my Passat on Ebay a few months ago 6 Polish mechanics tipped up in two cars, I was like "Er ****, am I going to get done over?"... so yeah, thats a good point.