Eco mode

andy l

Reaction score
What does it actually do?
I just used it when driving 130 miles to Nottingham and got 34mpg. I switched it off on the return journey and got well over 37 mpg and on the return journey drove much faster.
Any ideas.

I just used it when driving 130 miles to Nottingham and got 34mpg. I switched it off on the return journey and got well over 37 mpg and on the return journey drove much faster.
Any ideas.

All it does is make the suspension softer and changes the throttle response.

Any ideas.
Did you have the wind behind you on the way back ?

Cheers mate, think I won't bother with it thought it might have lowered the performance a bit to aid economy but in reality on my car it made it less economical.
It was just an experiment yesterday.

Must of done ha ha.
I also drove loads faster seriously impressive though 37 mpg from a 2 litre turbo with 4 wheel drive.

Reactions: kevin lewis
I thought Eco would be better on a long ish trip, will skip it now and see what happens :)

My thought exactly mate.
Thought the eco mode would increase economy but in reality it doesn't.
Did read a link on a vw forum saying that eco mode in the mk7 golf blunted the throttle response so you end up using more fuel to compensate.
That's probably the explanation to it so eco mode no more.

My thought exactly mate.
Thought the eco mode would increase economy but in reality it doesn't.
Did read a link on a vw forum saying that eco mode in the mk7 golf blunted the throttle response so you end up using more fuel to compensate.
That's probably the explanation to it so eco mode no more.

That's probably about right, you don't get the instant reaction, so press harder on the pedal forcing more fuel through.

In economy, the dampers are in their softest setting, the steering is lighter, but crucially full throttle = 80% power, so the throttle pedal feels less responsive.

If the car had 600bhp, then I imagine the throttle pedal would be twitchy at 80mph on a motorway, but to be honest I don't see the point in this. Just makes it less responsive when you want to squeeze and overtake!

Would be a great feature to have if it cut the power slightly so on ling motorway journeys I think would make a huge difference.
Just out of interest what sort of millage people getting on a tank I seem to get about 200-220 ish

Yeah that's true, but it's not cylinder de-activation, it's just making the accelerator less useful!

In my first 3,800 miles I'm getting 30.8mpg, and I live in London. Tend to get about 35mpg outside London, 26-28mpg in it. I actually get worse MPG on motorway runs, as the revs go quite high if you sit at 80-80mph - and the consumption goes right up.

It's the 50mph roads where you're stuck behind someone doing exactly 50mph that make it improve! :)

I probably get about 180 miles out of a tank and about 19 mpg i do put the poor thing through its paces but i am constantly in the petrol station

I get 320 miles to a tank my average mpg according to the computer is 32mpg
noticed yesterday while in eco it does take away the drone in car that you get with dynamic due to the exhaust valve

I get around 355 miles to a tank and on my 200 mile one way trip to work I can easily get 38mpg. Have had 41 when actually thinking about it. Normally just in Auto mode.

Maybe I'm driving mine too hard to be getting 100 miles less

Reactions: Ben Mitchell
The reason mine doesn't come down below 32-33mpg on long drives is that I tend to cruise at 80-82mph on a motorway, and with 6 gears the revs are up at that speed.

If I were happy to sit at 65/70mph, I'm sure I'd get 5-6mpg more...

I'm still in that "really love this exhaust note" mode at the moment, I'm sure that will wear off soon then I can start getting some decent MPG haha.

Reactions: Ben Mitchell