Economy

mikes3

Reaction score
Morning all.

Just got home from my commute from South Wales (Pontypridd) to Chester. The distance was 158 miles. I reset the trip before I left, and managed 34.9 mpg average. Using Shell V-Power, empty car - was just following speed limits all the way, a couple of blasts here and there. Average speed was 48mph. Car is a 2003 S3, BAM engine. Its about the best avergae over distance I've had out of it so far. How do I compare to everyone else ?

I'm used to about 24.9 normally :( Touches 30 on long journies.. Away to get the Thermo replaced along with full service so im hoping that helps!

i was managing to squeeze 32 mpg out of mine last week, i thought i'd give economic driving a go, so changing up around 3000 rpm :(. Very boring but quite happy with 32 mpg on Cornish roads with an average speed of 33 mph. Anyway, i got bored of driving like a granny, so its dropping pretty quick now.

I'm used to about 24.9 normally :( Touches 30 on long journies.. Away to get the Thermo replaced along with full service so im hoping that helps!

Get that thermo changed ASAP

30-35 sounds about right!

Keeping off the turbo makes the biggest difference IMO. I got stuck behind some traffic most of the way, but ambling along at 50-60mph seems to be the sweetspot. I know I should check real mpg by filling brim to brim, but just going off the computer then this is the best so far. I know its tempting to use the power under your right foot, but I kinda like keeping that mpg high sometimes - (feels like Im doing my bit for the environment ) ! LOL :detective2:

Does changing the thermostat make that much of a difference?

Mines 27 around town since APR re-map with around 33/35 MPG on motorway.

G

Go down to Birmingham every Friday and back up on Sunday night. Down I get 30 (50 cameras and traffic), up I get 35. Quite happy with that! 70mph in 6th on cruise control.

when my thermostat went my mpg dropped from 29.5 to ~26.5 mpg, so yes it makes a difference

Ordering mine today so might start to get more MPG.. (not that i am bothered at min just loving driving it!!!)

Eeek.
My DIS says 23.8mpg currently, but i've just calculated that 270 miles to a full 62l (13.6 gal) tank is 19.85mpg...

Ouch.

I think my 'stat is ok too, 'cos the car warms to 90 in a few minutes and stays there...

I drive country lanes and town but mainly shortish journeys (less than 10 miles). I also leave the car to warm up and cool down - are you guys doing this?!

Eeek.
My DIS says 23.8mpg currently, but i've just calculated that 270 miles to a full 62l (13.6 gal) tank is 19.85mpg...

Ouch.

I think my 'stat is ok too, 'cos the car warms to 90 in a few minutes and stays there...

I drive country lanes and town but mainly shortish journeys (less than 10 miles). I also leave the car to warm up and cool down - are you guys doing this?!

That's one big heavy foot you got there!

Short journies kill it for me. Work is a couple of miles away (I need to walk!) and my average goes down to 19.x over the course of the week :(

A mate with a 3.2 Brera coughed up his brew when I told him what MPG I get on the motorway. He's seen 8. Average. Not a happy bunny, especially since mine appears to be marginally quicker (unmapped)!

I squeezed 380 miles out of my last tank. Said I had 0 miles left but had 5lt left in tank.

Average about 350 miles to a full tank. Just average driving, not trying to be economical.

I squeezed 380 miles out of my last tank. Said I had 0 miles left but had 5lt left in tank.

Sweet.

I recently fitted a new IAT sensor, and had a new TIP. Also replaced loads of vac/boost lines with silicone. Also, I always used to use Esso super unleaded stuff, seem to be getting a lot better results from the Shell V-Power - its not cheap though so I guess thats the trade off.

I'm setting off for Hungary on Friday night. Will be driving almost 3000 miles in a round trip. I have no idea what kind of petrol I'm going to find on the way, but I'l be looking for 97 RON. Checked out the fuel prices for Europe on the net, but I think they are giving the price for regular unleaded. Seems Germany is the most expensive, Austria & Hungary the cheapest. Will be interesting to see what the average mpg is over 3000 miles !

Last edited:
My commute is 70 miles a day and i average 30-35mpg. (26-28 if i cane it). I probably sit around 60 on the country lanes overtaking anyone that goes slower. Its when you get stuck behind the lorries it goes up. I've had 38mpg on my journey to work!

If you let the car tick over and cool down this kills economy too as the computer sees no forward motion. I just drive slow the first few miles and last few if i've been caning it home

The M3 did 20-23 average over the same journey at the same speeds! My dads 330ci does 27 over the journey and our company mini cooper diesel does 45mpg. The S3 is the best to drive!

My commute is 70 miles a day and i average 30-35mpg. (26-28 if i cane it). I probably sit around 60 on the country lanes overtaking anyone that goes slower. Its when you get stuck behind the lorries it goes up. I've had 38mpg on my journey to work!

If you let the car tick over and cool down this kills economy too as the computer sees no forward motion. I just drive slow the first few miles and last few if i've been caning it home

The M3 did 20-23 average over the same journey at the same speeds! My dads 330ci does 27 over the journey and our company mini cooper diesel does 45mpg. The S3 is the best to drive!

You dad needs to see the light and get an Audi