ECU, ESC, Hill hold, Parking break errors/faults

xskgx

Reaction score
During Easter i went to wash the car, and following the wash while i was finishing some minor detailing while the car was idle, the engine turned off and started showing errors:

ESC Fault
Hill Hold Assist: Unavailable
Parking Break Fault (not every time though)

When trying to turn on the engine again, the car immediately turns of and the errors are shown, here is a clip of the errors and shutdown of the engine:

I turned in the car to an Audi dealer, and they told me today that they think it's the ECU which has failed, and think this should be replaced - with the cost of £1750 + labour... :(

So i'm hoping someone here might have had a similar experience and identified the fault somewhere else which is worth reviewing before taking the plunge on a new ECU.

Appricate the input/help :)

The car:
Audi A3 1,8 TFSI Quattro from late 2013 (2014 model/rev.)

I had this on a hire car and it turned out to be a sensor in the front bumper had not been connected correctly when they took the bumper off to replace a bulb. Check the front crash sensor is seated correctly, perhaps pressure washing has got water into the connections

Just an idea but worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this on a hire car and it turned out to be a sensor in the front bumper had not been connected correctly when they took the bumper off to replace a bulb. Check the front crash sensor is seated correctly, perhaps pressure washing has got water into the connections

Just an idea but worth a try

Would be great if that is the case! Did the car you're referring to also cut off the engine?

Would be great if that is the case! Did the car you're referring to also cut off the engine?

It’s a long story but I rejected the hire car before I drove it, they took it away and gave me a sharan instead

I complained and they carried out an investigation which lead them to advise me on the circumstances of the issue

It’s a long story but I rejected the hire car before I drove it, they took it away and gave me a sharan instead

I complained and they carried out an investigation which lead them to advise me on the circumstances of the issue

Ah fair, i'll ask the dealership to check the sensor, thank you for the input :)

Sounds like water ingress into a connector tbh, as its a bit of a coincidence this happening after a wash, check all connectors for residual water as tbh ecu's dont really fail so much these days that easily unless externally affected per se.

Reactions: Scotty75
During Easter i went to wash the car, and following the wash while i was finishing some minor detailing while the car was idle, the engine turned off and started showing errors:

ESC Fault

When trying to turn on the engine again, the car immediately turns of and the errors are shown, here is a clip of the errors and shutdown of the engine:

I turned in the car to an Audi dealer, and they told me today that they think it's the ECU which has failed, and think this should be replaced - with the cost of £1750 + labour... :(

So i'm hoping someone here might have had a similar experience and identified the fault somewhere else which is worth reviewing before taking the plunge on a new ECU.

The car:

HI.

I have exactly the same issue with my a31. 8.

Started a week ago but got progressively worse.

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

HI.

I have exactly the same issue with my a31. 8.

Started a week ago but got progressively worse.

Did you ever find out what the problem was?
If it's a list of errors that comes on when the car starts and then after a few seconds disappear (usually apart from Stop/Start), it's likely to be time for a new battery!

If the engine starts and then immediately stops, I had a problem with the clip holding the fuel pressure sensor into the fuel rail rusting through and then the sensor popped out, along with a gush of petrol. Took me weeks to get the quid's worth of clip as this happened during the first lockdown! Check this thread: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-fuel-leak.417193/

ESC Fault

The car:

Hi, any update on what the problem was? My car has just started doing the same….
Thanks in advance.