Ecu in a tizz!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you are all good, I'm considering purchasing a tuned replacement Ecu from a seller on eBay for my 2004 Audi A4 b6 1.9tdi quattro (AVF 130), 190,000 mls, after contacting him he can also delete my EGR for no extra charge, he has also says he can match my original VIN number to the used ECU, I must say I was a bit concerned about buying any flashed Ecu but upon looking at his reviews they are very good so I'm gonna give it a go.

The issue I've got is that the new used ECU will need adapting and pairing with my vehicle like my old one , is this a big job or straight forward and could there be any problems involved, I understand the ECu has to be matched to the instrument cluster and immo but that's about it, I've had a look on the internet but can't see much as what's involved,I have a full version of VCDS, I don't want to damage the car or render the car unusable, Any help with this will be gratefully received as usual, cheers, andy.

I bought one from ebay for my old AVF a few years ago. The seller disabled the immobiliser, which enabled plug
& play without the need to match to the cluster. I have VCDS so I could have enabled it but never got around to it as it looked a bit involved, & I didn't want any issues.

Hi Paul, thanks for your help, perhaps what I'm looking at getting is from the same person as you got your from, the Ecu advertised has the immo disabled and is plug n play but I've asked if I can have it enabled then i can adapt it to my car as I didn't want to lose the immo ,out of interest what was the result of swopping the Ecu, did it make the car better ?, What was the fuel consumption like and did it improve ?, Did you just fit the Ecu and that's it, the car starts and all is good ?, can you tell that the immo has been disabled ?, I would have preferred to have not disabled the immo the but it does look a bit complicated, I understand you need the pin number from the instruments eeprom which I think you need vag commander of another cable and software to retrieve it but I might be completely wrong !!,the place I'm getting it from is https://www.bing.com/search?pc=MAWI&form=Silk32&q=www.goingslow.co.uk, have a look, thanks for you input, cheers

Last edited:
The ECU was remapped up to 165 bhp which improved performance, & also got me an extra 4 or 5 miles per gallon on a run. I also had the EGR deleted too. The alarm still worked but obviously no immobilser. It was literally plug & play. Fiddly getting the ECU plastic cover off as one of the torx screws is a bit tricky to get to, & it's tight squeeze getting the cover on & off . (You'll seee what I mean). The ECU has a metal securing strap which has 2 security screws holding it in place. I had to use a small screwdriver & a hammer to tap them loose, & then unscrew by hand.
I'm pretty sure as long as you have both PIN's & full VCDS you can code the new ECU. Full instructions are on Rosstech.com.
BTW I didn't buy mine from the same seller as your link.

Hi Stevey83, well mainly because `Er indoors` moans about how much time and money I've spent on this b6 to get it into a good reasonable condition, I'd love a proper remap but I'm now getting to the stage where I don't really want to put hundreds now into the car and for £68 squid and deleting the EGR at the same time for free I'm gonna give it a go, the seller reviews on the site are very good. I've also now decided to purchase with the immo disabled, so the ECU is plug n play as I think reprogramming the Replacement ECU to the instrument cluster so the immo is enabled might be a step to far for me and don't want to cause a problem where the car is unusable although the seller says he can provide me with the SKC for the ECU and also if there is any problems I can put my old ECU back in.

Yeah, the replacement ECU with the EGR deleted is £68 against a proper remap which I suppose is £2-3 hundred pound, don't get wrong I'd much sooner get the car properly remapped and is better job all round as the tuner can then tweak the car to fine tune it but what's swinging this for me is the seller's previous good reviews for the same and similar vehicles, for better or worse for £68 I'm willing to have a punt and give it a go, plug n play also, I'm not actually going to do the job at the moment because of time restraints and will probably fit in in April sometime when I service the car and do it all in one go but i will take some pics of me swopping it over and let you all know what happens.

Just an update, remapping might be over before it's even started for now, got home tonight from work, reversed as normal in driveway and there is a distinct sort of rattling noise Audible in the car when the car is in neutral, tried pushing the clutch in and no change, hope it's not the DMF, had the car 4 yrs without any clutch issues and don't know if it has been changed (190,000) now, I thought it sounded a bit noisy from cold when I started it a few days ago, not had time to have a look, just my luck, the missus will love this!!.

Last edited: