EGR cleaning on a 1.9tdi A4 Avant with BKE engine. Any tips?

Reaction score
Next up on my list of 'things to do' on my new-old car I think is cleaning the EGR.

A few people have said its chucking out some black smoke when I accelerate from standstill, and from a bit of research it sounds like it could be the EGR?

I've just done the timing belt&water pump, and also last night serviced it with new oil and air/oil/fuel/pollen filters.

Has anyone got any tips before I start taking the thing apart? Or recommend any bits i will need to replace doing the job? Gaskets?

Many thanks!

Next up on my list of 'things to do' on my new-old car I think is cleaning the EGR.A few people have said its chucking out some black smoke when I accelerate from standstill, and from a bit of research it sounds like it could be the EGR?I've just done the timing belt&water pump, and also last night serviced it with new oil and air/oil/fuel/pollen filters.Has anyone got any tips before I start taking the thing apart? Or recommend any bits i will need to replace doing the job? Gaskets?Many thanks!
Its dead easy to do mate. just a messy job ... make sure you have lots of brake cleaner at the ready, you may have use a screw driver to break the carbon up a little.

Thanks, are people cleaning both 1 and 3 on this pic?
I might just leave it to soak in some fuel for a while and see if that frees it up easier

Had a go at the valve.

Here's a before and after!

Flux1

View attachment 37910

Pulls away smoother now but I still seem to throw out a puff of black smoke at about 3200revs if I floor it. Normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of black smoke is just a thing of diesels I think mate (no smoke, no poke!) My EGR is pretty clean and I get a bit of smoke when I boot it - have always assumed it's normal.

Yeah, it was more like a giant plume though lol

I've cleaned the egr valve but I could feel this other part was pretty sooted up too.

Anyone know what it is/does? On ETKA it just calls it a 'controller'

muzuqa8u.jpg

That looks more or less like my 2.0tdi. Am assuming that top part (#3 in diagram) is the throttle body.....yes ?

When cleaning EGR and throttle body do you have to change the o-rings (#2 & #4) ? If so, does anyone have part numbers ?

The diesels don't have a throttle valve, it could well be the anti shudder valve though. Well worth cleaning at the same time although they're not usually too bad.

That looks more or less like my 2.0tdi. Am assuming that top part (#3 in diagram) is the throttle body.....yes ?

When cleaning EGR and throttle body do you have to change the o-rings (#2 & #4) ? If so, does anyone have part numbers ?

For my particular car my dealer ordered me the following

1 x N90062702 EGR valve seal.

1 x n90521604 which I think is the seal for the 'controller'

I had a look in the 'controller' and it doesn't look too bad.

I also bought a can of EGR cleaner from CPC, which says to spray in the air intake manifold.

Not sure where that really means.

ebepazut.jpg

The diesels don't have a throttle valve, it could well be the anti shudder valve though. Well worth cleaning at the same time although they're not usually too bad.

Oops ! Been reading about issues with 2.0 petrol engines

F1ux: mentions MAF so must have to remove air filter and perhaps spray into inlet. It might make some smoke when you rev it 5-10 times so make sure you're outside.

Last edited:
Erm who has changed my 'after' photo in post #4 into a basketball player !?

it was this originally

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2,319
Last edited:
There's loads of videos on youtube showing how to use the egr cleaning sprays.......basically remove the air fikter and spray into the air intake as per the instructions on the tin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOGjAQHVeCc

Personally I think taking it and cleaning thoroughly is a much better option. Then use this stuff occasionally to help keep it clean.

There's loads of videos on youtube showing how to use the egr cleaning sprays.......basically remove the air fikter and spray into the air intake as per the instructions on the tin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOGjAQHVeCc

Personally I think taking it and cleaning thoroughly is a much better option. Then use this stuff occasionally to help keep it clean.

Oh ok, so take the lid off the air free and spray into the hose.

I was was just a little concerned if doing that when the can says it will damage paint. Wondered what it would do to rubber/plastic.

car is running loads better now the egr is clean. I think it was getting stuck open as I'm not getting the puffs of black smoke and acceleration from stop now.
however it does take longer to get upto temperature , but then I guess it would!

Didn't realise that egr cleaning sprays existed before this thread but to my surprise I found it on the shelves in Halfords.

Wynn's Diesel EGR Cleaner. Rather small spray can that says it cleans air intake system, air flow sensor, inlet valves and EGR system. Must be pretty agressive stuff to break down some of the crud we've seen on here. All for princley sum of £9.99.

Has anyone else used this type of spray and if so how effective is it ?

Didn't realise that egr cleaning sprays existed before this thread but to my surprise I found it on the shelves in Halfords.

Wynn's Diesel EGR Cleaner. Rather small spray can that says it cleans air intake system, air flow sensor, inlet valves and EGR system. Must be pretty agressive stuff to break down some of the crud we've seen on here. All for princley sum of £9.99.

Has anyone else used this type of spray and if so how effective is it ?

Just bought the same spray but not sure where to spray it - seen somewhere that it should be sprayed into the system after the MAF so as not to damage it - but have no idea where this is!?!

The instructions say to remove the air filter element and spray directly into the air intake......it cleans the MAF as well....apparently. If you have concerns about the MAF then just remove the big air hose attached to the MAF/airbox and spray it in there. Just remember to put the hose back on securely afterwards. This stuff seems to clean the dry side of the intake system by removing the crusty deposits that stop the valve from opening.

Some forums recommend using 2 tins to do proper job but I guess removing the egr valve is the only way to be sure its clean. I'd not heard of this stuff before this thread so would be chuffed if it actually works as the removal method is messy (understatement).

Google it or look on YouTube as there's plenty of advice available.