EGR cooler flap leak issue?

max69vk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

I'm currently trying to trace a slightly annoying issue on engine shutdown which essentially manifests itself in an ever so slight rumble/vibration when the engine is turned off. Initially I thought this was an issue with the EGR & ASV but after inspection they are both operating 100% & clean.

What I did notice though is that if I switch the engine off during a regen it shuts down perfectly. To me this indicates the EGR/ASV is working but also indicates an air leak in the system in the EGR system itself. The obvious thing to check are the various gaskets in the EGR system (all ok) & then the EGR cooler itself.

As I've not lost any coolant in over 15000 miles of driving I can pretty much say it's not leaking, however after a bit of researching there does appear to be an issue (mainly in the US) with the EGR cooler change over valve, in which the bearing around the lever shaft crumbles or deteriorates due to heat creating a leak which can affect emissions, mpg, create a hissing noise when driving & I'm guessing affect engine shutdown too?

The options to fix the leak is to try & strip the cooler out, fabricate a new bearing & replace it, or just fit a new one at over £300, neither a great option. I'm wondering what the EGR cooler valve actually does? The EGR valve controls the flow of the gasses so what would be the harm in disconnecting the changeover valve & blocking off the valve shaft completely, sealing off the leak?

The egr cooler cools the exhaust gas before it's put back into the intake.

As above you don't need it's all a load of cack just get rid of egr, asv, DPF if you have one and get a custom remap

Unfortunately I'm going play devils advocate here for a couple of reasons. It's the EGR that controls the flow of gasses into the engine, not the EGR cooler flap, also the EGR has just as many benefits as it does downsides (especially during winter - for engine warmup) as well other benefits that tuners choose to ignore for the sake of gaining 1-2bhp. I'd rather preserve the longevity of the engine, knowing that if it's running right the EGR itself won't ever be an issue. :)

I can't think of any benefit of egr other than reducing emissions which to be honest I don't care about but that's another conversation altogether and secondly the engine warm up. Effectively the egr puts warm dirty air into your intake?

I thought one of the benefits of the EGR system is the recirculated gas is inert, having already being combusted. Therefore it is used to reduce peak cylinder temperatures (as it can not combust again) and avoid hot spots on pistons etc.

Also, the EGR valve stays shut at WOT as far as I am aware, so power delivery should not be an issue.

Benefit of removing it is cleaner intake manifold etc as there is no soot being directed back into the engine.

I guess it's all down to personal choice whether or not to go for the delete option.