Egr cooler or head gasket failure

Lewistod

Reaction score
I have a 2.0 tdi bkd 140 I’m loosing quite a bit of coolant each day to the point where I have to top it up ever time I use it,

I’ve got no steam on start up or whilst it’s running, there’s no mayo on the cap oil filter and no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. I thought it was just a leak then I saw the bubbles in the expansion tank, no bubbles on start up but after a couple of minutes there’s little bubbles and after I rev it there’s quite a few.

its got a c head on it so I don’t think it will have the common problems that they normally do

What do you guys think?

Probably head porous.

Stick it on pressure test over night, see if it goes down, but generally if you've done a drive to warm up the block, usually overnight it drops & coolant disappears into the abyss.

Try this, after you do your next last drive of the day make sure the engine is upto 90 & hot, undo the coolant reservoir cap, let it depressure for 20 minutes, refit cap, check next day if coolant has dropped the same value again or much less, to none, its probably the head.

Reactions: Lewistod
I’ll try this tonight was hoping it’s not the head but I might have to just accept it is, thanks for the help

I had the exact same as you. Would lose coolant but no symptoms of a porus/cracked head. I nailed it down to the cooler but px’d it before I did anything.

I’ll try this tonight was hoping it’s not the head but I might have to just accept it is, thanks for the help
Probably head porous.

Stick it on pressure test over night, see if it goes down, but generally if you've done a drive to warm up the block, usually overnight it drops & coolant disappears into the abyss.

Try this, after you do your next last drive of the day make sure the engine is upto 90 & hot, undo the coolant reservoir cap, let it depressure for 20 minutes, refit cap, check next day if coolant has dropped the same value again or much less, to none, its probably the head.
So I tryed that test in the 2nd paragraph and the coolant level has went above the mark by a good 2cm would could this mean as it’s not stated in your outcomes ??

I had the exact same as you. Would lose coolant but no symptoms of a porus/cracked head. I nailed it down to the cooler but px’d it before I did anything.
I’m hoping it’s the same it’s only done 119k so I don’t reckon it will be the head did you carry on driving it around or did you stop to prevent damage

Carried on driving and just topped up. It ran fine. Sometimes it would use coolant quickly(weeks) and sometimes it would take months.

It was the egr cooler removed it and the egr, haven’t had a coolant problem since

Reactions: ahtcap and abmat