EGR replaced, now losing coolant A3 2.0TDI

Phoenix87

Reaction score
New to this.

I had limp mode due to EGR valve failure, which lead me to get the EGR replaced last week.
2 days later I had the coolant level warning come on, so topped it up, thought nothing of it. Coolant warning light comes on again a few days later, and again, and again. It’s obviously losing coolant somewhere.
The garage that replaced the EGR looked at it, pressure tested it and couldn’t find any signs of a leak. They said the gasket was ok and the water pump was fine. Advised to leave engine cover off to notice residue and locate leak.
After a evening drive, took it out the driveway to a rough idle start, then loads of white smoke out the tailpipe when the boost is activated.
It’s back in the garage...

My question is, can an EGR be installed incorrectly causing coolant to get into my exhaust somehow? All signs of gasket are fine, no milky oil, temp never over 90, no smell of oil in the white smoke.

The bit I don’t get is why the smoke only appears when boost kicks in? If it’s idle it doesn’t smoke or lose coolant, it’s only when the boost is activated.

I didn’t have this problem at all before the EGR was replaced. Is it coincidence or has the garage installed it incorrectly somehow?

Any feedback welcome

A3 late 2011, 2.0tdi, 70k on clock....

Do you have an egr cooler fitted if so this could possibly be leaking and burning the coolant off inside

they replaced the whole unit, is the egr cooler part of the unit or is it separate?
If it’s part of the unit then it would be brand new, could it be faulty?

It’s separate to the egr valve normally found round the back of the engine and linked to the egr valve via a shiney metal pipe

Also what’s your engine code as some of the 2.0 tdis sufferd from the head going porous but I think yours is newer then this issues

I’m not sure what the engine code is but yeah it’s a 61 plate but I think it’s actually something like January/Feb 2012 when it was actually manufactured.
I guess what I’m trying to work out before the garage stitch me up is whether they replaced the cooler as part of the unit therefore they should change it as it’s clearly faulty, OR have they tried to install a new valve to an old cooler which they’ve either not connected properly or it’s broken?

I had a coolant loss on my tdi I couldn’t locate, so I tried some Prestone head and engine block repair, after much research, found it to have very good wright ups, it’s been in the car for three weeks now and I have had no coolant loss at all.