>>>EGR trouble SOLVED<<<

GallerDK

Reaction score
Hi Audi folks,

I just joined this forum to get access to a larger panel of experts.
I know the internet is flooding with EGR threads but mine is a little different so here it is..
It's kind of a long story but please keep reading ..

It's a 2008 A3 8PA 1.9 TDI (BLS).. it has 220K on the clock, 170K by me.
Besides minor things I never had any trouble with the car and none with the engine.

10 days ago the glow plug lamp (GPL) starts to flash on the way out.. It is a yellow light so I continued, suspecting problems with the glow plugs.
When I start up again to go home the MIL came on together with the GPL hence it's limp mode going home.
Safely home I connect my PC and get one fault.. 001027 EGR valve (N18) Malfunction.
At first I didn't know excactly what an EGR valve is. but after 10 days of hard work with PC and hand tools this has changed but I still can't figure it out.

* The valve was clogged but not blocked I guess some 4-5 mm.. it is cleaned and looking good.
* The movement of the valve is smooth and easy to activate by hand.
* When I connect it to a battery it opens quickly with a uniform sound and close when I disconnect it.
* The potentiometer is a magnetic type meaning no wear and tear. just a magnet moving up along a coil.
* When it is connected to the ECU I can't activate it with VagCom in Output Test.. it should be opening 30% I
believe but it doesn't move at all.. But I can't activate the IMF as well and it works.. or at least when I turn off
the engine it closes for 5 secs.
* When the engine starts I can read some intended movement in M-block 03 which it does for 3-5 secs, the valve doesn't move and I can read 100.6 as the posistion where it stays.
* If I disconnect the IMF I still have the fault but it goes out of limp mode meaning it drives completely as normal
just with MIL on..

My thoughts..:

* Could the fault be in the IMF which perhaps doesn't activate correctly hence the EGR won't activate at all.. I'm thinking that either the EGR is a slave of the IMF or vice versa. The Engine off feature could be a different circuit in the IMF which works.
* I bought a second hand EGR valve which came from a crashed car.. it does the same fault. (40£)
* Are there something before the EGR which needs to be fullfilled but which doesn't necessarily make a fault. I'm thinking wrong readings O2 or MAP, MAF..?
I think the MAF is okay.. the reading at idle is 450-470 which should be correct without the EGR.
* Of course both of the EGR's could be faulty but nothing on the valves indicate any problems.
Both moves easily with a battery and closes fast with the spring.
A new valve will cost me 250 £ and while I'm uncertain about it.. No thanks

I would hate to give it over to VAG.. they will bill me 200 £ just to make the readout and then start
to put new parts in until the fault is cleared.. I don't have much confidence in them.

Every thought you might have, experience, ideas.. just write it here and I'll go and try it out.
Thank you very much..

For now it is No IMF and yellow lamps..

Regards
Per.

After trying everything I have read in various threads I disconnected the ECU and measured the connection in the wiring..
The three nails below are Pot G212 and N18 are the nail over and the one to the right of that.
71921-4750d371c11ae5860a9c592e2f90ff05.jpg

And.. surpirce.. the green wire was cut.
I used a sharp needle to test the wiring at various places and located the cut at the point where it goes from the engine to the frame.
71922-037184754437791255f39281b1394f0e.jpg

I can't imagine what it would have cost me if I had handed the car over to VAG .. Millions I guess..

Attachments

• Stik.jpg
    Stik.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 714
Kudos for finding it, ive had this a few times with boost pressure sensor codes on the 1.9TDI, its also common for non start and no comms with the engine ECU

They haven't done a really good job protecting those wires.. thin tape with double distance..
it was actually in between the tape my green wire was worn.

It feels good to see a correct readout after this mess.
M01G03

Just had the same fault on an A3, 2009, BLS. Wire was rubbed off by the fuel pump! Wouldn't have thought to check the wires if not for this thread, so thank you! :D