EGR, YES OR NO!!!!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've been having some running troubles with my 2004 Audi A4 b6 1.9tdi quattro (AVF) for some time now mainly limp mode and a funny turbo Airbox air noise coming off the throttle and after 6 months of looking into different things I think I have found the fault in the egr valve being sticky and not opening or closing properly, thing is now I've found the fault should I delete the egr altogether (blanking plate and golf tee) or buy another egr valve, I know I will get the eml light on but I can put up with that if the engine runs better and il have a cleaner running engine, will my car pass its mot with the eml light on, cheers , andy

Car won't pass the MOT with an EML on. They do run a lot better without EGR, The only issue you get is that the car will take longer to warm up when it's cold, all that hot exhaust gas being recycled does help the car to warm up quicker.
It's very easy to remap them to delete the EGR. You could block the EGR with a plate and just remove the plate before taking it for an MOT. Clear the fault code and you are good to go.

Reactions: KrisKrk
Ahh I thought the car would pass the mot as thought the emissions wasn't part of the test on a diesel and didn't think eml light on was a straight fail, must admit having cleaned the inlet manifold out and cleaned the turbo vanes twice the amount of grimy oily gunk that goes through these engines it's a wonder they run properly at all and it would be nice to achieve a cleaner running engine that's not gunking everything up would be nice, thing is to get the eml light mapped out from the ecu is gonna cost and against just buying a new egr valve, like you say though I suppose no hardship to remove blanking plate a couple of days before mot and just connect it up again, I've got vcds so can delete error code, thanks for your help, something to think about !!!!!

Actual individual emissions gasses aren't assessed it's a smoke opacity test .

The fail purely comes from the general engine check light being on .

Stage 1 remap with egr out and enjoy .

Reactions: KrisKrk