Electric Folding Mirrors Fitted!

A3Kent

Reaction score
Well, it was wet and cold but Ash187 and myself fitted electric folding mirrors and front (will be rears too) footwell lighting to my 09 A3 SB last Saturday. Really happy with the outcome although we did have some compatibility issues with electric door motor modules which i'll explain to anyone else who might want to fit electric folding mirrors to there facelift.

Genuine parts used were:
OS and NS electric folding Mirror Body - 8P2 858 532 EC and 8P2 858 531 EC
Electric Folding wing mirror switch for drivers door - 4F0 959 565 A with Surround - 8P0 919 173 C

So, we removed the existing mirrors and fitted the new electric folding bodies to the existing caps and glass without any drama at all. We then removed the existing electric mirror switch and put the new one in that enables you to fold the mirrors, still all good. All was going well and was put back together again, coded and.....NOTHING!

A few different bits of coding were tried and still, nothing. Now Ash had already assumed that as my A3 was a 09 car that the door modules would work. They were part numbers 8P0 959 801 K. Ash has already done this mod to his A3 so had to update the modules in his doors to 8P0 959 801 P. So we removed Ash's modules and installed them in my A3 and bingo it worked.

You now think i've left Ash without folding mirrors? Nope, as some of you probably know, Ash has tweaked his so that the mirrors fold and unfold on lock and unlock so don't need the modules! So he has my old modules and I have his newer ones, obviously a bit of cash was exchanged as well after a bit of haggling ;) I'm sure Ash will want to get some newer ones now incase of any future mods, I beleive 8P0 959 801 Q is now available, not sure on others.

Anyway, I thought i'd make you guys aware of this if you are considering fitting electric folding mirrors. Make sure you've got the correct door modules too!

This also means I have a pair of standard facelift mirror bodies and door switch for any guys that are looking to facelift their 8P2 to 8P3. You will obviously still need the caps, LED indicator strip and glass to complete both wing mirrors. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Dude and recomdos
Hey Chris, glad to hear that you aren't having any further issues after you stole my modules lol

For anyone interested in having folding mirrors fitted all you need are the mirror bases with the new switch and maybe the door modules if you currant ones don't support the function...

The lock and unlock tweak is a total custom install where the folding switch would no longer be used and cannot be controlled manually. Both mirrors need to be rewired, as the door modules are no longer used for the folding option. It's a massive install which I have now managed to get down to 2 hours to complete but it's not a cheap one.

Pm me if you guys are serious about having either of the above mods done

Also here is the thread where I discussed it
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...42367-facelift-dumbo-mirrors-fitted-guide.htm

The lock and unlock tweak is a total custom install where the folding switch would no longer be used and cannot be controlled manually. Both mirrors need to be rewired, as the door modules are no longer used for the folding option. It's a massive install which I have now managed to get down to 2 hours to complete but it's not a cheap one.

Does it DEF have to disable the manual switch? Is there no other way? I need to keep the function to fold them manually as I have to do that to get the car through the driveway gate posts!

Still not got any further on that mate?

It keeps popping in to my head every now and then trying to think of a solution for you but not really come up with any thing.

I need to sit down with some wiring diagrams and a cider I think. :)

a guy on a E46 BMW M3 did the electric fold mirror to door lock retrofit for around £10. wired to door locks and his switch still worked manually too. Not sure how it would work with audi's canbus system if would flag up any errors or what.

here is the thread: (and yes, 2nd page of thread)

check it out.. my latest mod - Page 2 - E46Fanatics

Also I did a thread to wire them to the ignition:
DIY: Auto fold m3 mirrors to ignition - E46Fanatics

the theory behind both is the same, of course the method is slightly different. Again not sure about any canbus errors that would arise.

PS no regrets from e46 to 8p!

Guys mine door module is Q on end. Manufactured 2011. Will electric folding mirrors work with my current module??

Hi Ash,

You mention that if anyones serious about having this done to PM you, little tricky to be serious without knowing a ballpark cost though! What we talking for each?

Cheers mate,

mine is P 2011 so it would not work will it?

so far its the K that i know for sure that doesnt work. the P as far as i know does work for folding but would need to test to be 100% sure... sorry my memory isnt as good as it used to be :p

Hi Ash,

You mention that if anyones serious about having this done to PM you, little tricky to be serious without knowing a ballpark cost though! What we talking for each?

Cheers mate,
PM'd

All the parts, providing you have the correct modules, come in at around the £385 mark (if you don't get any kind of discount). And just the labour on top of that.

How difficult is it to do? Have scredriver and VCDS...

Have a garage full of tools...no stranger to taking doors apart and swapping out electrical components. Studied electronics many years ago, so no stranger to a soldering iron either.

I've got Q modules on my 2012 a3. It accepted the code for folding mirrors in vcds without them fitted or doesn't that mean anything?? I was under impression it wouldn't accept code if it wasn't compatible??

Q modules are not folding, I have P modules available if need be.

Hey Chris, glad to hear that you aren't having any further issues after you stole my modules lol

For anyone interested in having folding mirrors fitted all you need are the mirror bases with the new switch and maybe the door modules if you currant ones don't support the function...

Pm me if you guys are serious about having either of the above mods done

Also here is the thread where I discussed it
Error Page

for some reason the above link doesnt work... but here is the updated link: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...2367-facelift-dumbo-mirrors-fitted-guide.html

Hi

Not Sure if any of you can help,

I have a 2007 A3, this week the electric mirrors have stopped working/folding using the drivers door switch and the rear windows won't work with the drivers door switch either. The rear windows work with their own switches, all wiring and fuses are ok, could a new module be needed? Current one is 8P0 959 801G and I can't find a replacement anywhere will an H work?!

paul

Hi Paul, Assume both sides are not folding? In which case I doubt it's a faulty module to be honest as that would be 2 faulty modules. I'd advise getting it scanned with VCDS to see what that shows and posting the results back here.

Thanks, both sides aren't even moving let alone folding, the glass was damaged and I changed this but to be honest before that I haven't moved them for ages so not sure if they stopped moving before or after!

As the switch is wired into the module in the drivers side I thought perhaps the fault could be in there thus also affecting the back windows not working with the switch as they all work ok individually...........nightmare, I have just sold the car and discovered this when getting it ready to go!

im guessing its the switches. the windows move independently with their own switches but not when the drivers one is used.

have you replaced the window switches at all?

Last edited:
Not yet, I might give that a whirl first then, and the mirror switches too and see how that goes. Thanks

I have just had another look, it seems that the drivers door lock doesn't work either so all in all only the front window controls work on the whole door.

I had a look at all of the wires in the door shut from the harness, apart from a slight snag in the casing of the red and green one they were all fine :-(

I think I will book it in for Diagnostics........

drivers door lock also not working would suggest faulty module as it controls all of those features.

FYI: The H module is not compatible with folding mirrors so you would need to get the G module.

P and M would work also wouldn't they Ash?

G is £185 plus Vat from Audi, none on ebay, which is why I am wary about buying one if its not that, especially as the car is sold too! So it makes no difference if both mirrors aren't moving? It could just be one module doing it?

Paul

If the module is fried and is not accepting the switch signal then yes it can be the one module. the way to test is to get the car connected to VCDS and test to see if the passenger side module responds.
Where abouts are you based? you could check on the VCDS map to see if anyone is close by to you who can run the scan on your car

Hi, had a diagnostics in high Wycombe today, they think it is the module, still no luck finding a second hand 'G' so I think I'm going to have to go to the main dealer :-(

I have a G module available, PM for a price.

I had to bite the bullet and buy one as the car purchaser wants to collect tomorrow! I have fitted it, all working but now the ****** drivers switch makes the passenger window go down and the passenger switch (on the drivers door) makes the drivers window go down............any ideas please!!??