Electric Tailgate won’t fully open

Carmel1940

Reaction score
Hi,

Just before I buy 2 new OE tailgate gas struts for around 30 quid....

The electric tailgate on my A4 B8.5 Avant is sitting at around 3/4 of its maximum height when powered open. I can push it beyond this height by hand and it’ll open, reluctantly, to more or less it’s full height and just about hold - when I teach the tailgate to remember the new position (by holding the switch in and getting the indicators to flash) it’ll revert back to the 3/4 height upon the next close/open cycle.

Tired gas struts and colder weather, time for some new ones?

Any experience or advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I’m pretty sure you can program the opening height of the tailgate.

I forget if it is through VCDS/OBD11 or in the MMI menu. I think it is in the MMI menu.

Push it all the way open then push and hold the button on the trunk until the taillights flash. This will reprogram the opening height.

Looks like he's tried that already.
Guess I shouldn't read when half asleep. Thanks for catching me.

My 2011 Avant wouldn't "re-teach* after a while and I replaced the struts. I replaced with generic aftermarket ones and now works just fine. I found that the opening motor was doing "OK" just getting the door open, but holding it open was an issue.

You can easily take out the old struts just to see how much pressure they're actually giving.

Reactions: jdp1962
Guess I shouldn't read when half asleep. Thanks for catching me.

My 2011 Avant wouldn't "re-teach* after a while and I replaced the struts. I replaced with generic aftermarket ones and now works just fine. I found that the opening motor was doing "OK" just getting the door open, but holding it open was an issue.

You can easily take out the old struts just to see how much pressure they're actually giving.

Do you have a link to the struts please? Mine only opens 3/4 too (tried reprogramming several times) and would be interested in replacing the struts.

I'm in the US. Ordered some cheapos off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=162573081852&transactionId=2003565480006

Two ended up being too strong and wouldn't allow the trunk to close, so in using one old and one new. Trunk works just fine.

I also found with the old struts my trunk lid would rattle a bit when closed. Now it doesn't.

Thanks, but that link doesn't work.

Are both struts powered on the tailgate, or is it only one side, with the other just being passive?

Just trying to figure out if I need to buy a powered one or not basically.

I'm on a roll of messing up posts...that link was to my order and not to the actual struts.

/bangshead

The ACTUAL ones I ordered seem to no longer be available. However, these are the same, just a bit more costly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Two-Rear...gon/151848667676?_trksid=p2504926.m5232.l9681

My US spec Avant did not have powered struts, they are just passive lifts that provide support and tension for the motor.

Reactions: jdp1962
DD9D7CA5 8398 43AA BBF9 C051A93BD404
Hello all,

Thanks very much for all your feedback, much appreciated!

So it looks like a pair of new gas struts are worth trying. There seems to be 3 variants of strut (no. 7 above) depending, I’d guess, based on manual opening/powered opening/possibly a different weight option (RS4 spoiler type differs)? Looking at the original parts on my actual car, a B8.5 2013 Black Edition with powered opening, they are the 450N variant and the part number matches - see image. Pattern parts, on say eBay, may be the cheapest but I’ll probably go OE this time around.

The motor assy (no. 30) works in conjunction with the gas struts.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: KSigota
Thanks Carmel - I always wondered how the boot opened - now I know! :)

Good shout re: 450N struts, I'll go OEM.

I used this as a reference, the previous exploded parts image was for a B8.5 2013 model.....
https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/audi

A B8 may use different parts so please check or ask the supplier to verify using your reg. no. or VIN. If you have the original parts, as fitted to the car at the factory, there will most probably be a parts number and a Newton force printed on the female part of the gas strut (mine does).

Just want to avoid anyone buying incorrect parts.

Thanks

Just as a record in case forum users experience low tailgate opening height issues on an A4 B8/B8.5 Avant with the electric/power option, even after ‘reteaching’ the system (holding electric closing button until indicators blink).....

I experienced 2 problems on my 2013 B8.5....

Tailgate gas stays will fail over time, cold weather exacerbates the problem. One of mine had lost most of it’s pressure, you could literally compress by hand once off the car. The posts above point out the correct ones to buy, I bought as a set (recommended).

It may also be worth removing the (fabric covered) horizontal upper headlining trim strip in the open tailgate aperture - I only did this as there was a water leak in this area whilst operating the rear washer. Once removed you can then see the 2 (RH & LH) motors and hinges. The motors are doing a lot of work as the hinge centre is so close to the motor axis - each motor is fixed to the body with an L-shape pressed bracket. One of these brackets was broken, and the displaced motor had pinched/severed the rear washer tube. The bracket (part 31 in the parts diagram above) is a couple of quid from Audi, I also replaced a tiny brass bearing shell (part 4A) that sits on the hinge.

Updating the post as this advice helped someone else out on another forum - on their car the L-shape motor bracket fixing bolt on one side was completely undone, the other side was loose. The user refitted using locktite.

Thanks

Reactions: mercules