Electric window problem A4 convertible 53 reg

Jimmyboy

Reaction score
In the recent cold weather my car froze up as most did in the mornings. On the cabriolet as you open the door handle it automatically drops the window a centimetre and then puts it back up again once the door is shut. As the window was frozen it could not move so I wiggled it a bit. Ever since then the auto drop and rise has no longer worked.
Do you think this is a difficult problem to fix or expensive?

Many thanks

he he he its good fun owning a cab in the winter isn't it??!! had to drive holding the door the other day as i managed to get the door open but it wouldn't shut!! anyway...try and reset the window by pressing and holding the switch to the fully open position then pull and hold the switch to the fully closed position. don't let go of the switch either way otherwise it will not reset. fingers crossed, not sure what else it might be?

I'll give that a try thanks.
Yes it is fun in winter! Annoyingly I have a semi empty garage which just needs tidying and I could get it in there. Next year for definite!
At the moment I have to leave the window slightly down about half a centimetre to allow me to be able to open and shut the door. If I have to use the window at any stage then when I park it takes about 10 attempts to get it to stop at exactly the right level. If it goes too high it doesnt stop until it hits the top and then the safety feature cuts in and lowers it again.
Thanks for your advice.

missed the bit in your first thread about the auto open/close no longer working - definately just needs reseting as i said earlier ;)

while you're out there get clearing that garage...more cold weather on the way next week brrrrrrr lol

Just went out and tried it, worked a treat. I had opened it completely and shut it completely recently but guess I can't have done it all at once without stopping half way on the way down or up.

Thanks for your help, thats made my day, I was thinking something major had gone wrong and needed all sorts of parts replaced!