Electric Window Problem

Slinger

Reaction score
Hi,

Last night I was "showing off" to my father in law how when you keep hold of the unlock button on the remote that the windows all open (I only found out about this last week
redface.gif
) but the rear drivers side window was very slow at closing and got 2/3rd's the way up and went back down. I couldnt fully close the window at all, then I managed to get it nearly to the top but it seemed to be at a slant with a gap of about an inch to the top. Ive managed to push the window up physically but Im not sure what could be causing this.

Is it likely to be the motor that is dying or has the glass come loose from the frame?

thanks.

Sods law something goes wrong soon after the warranty runs out!! Out of curiosity why were you showing off that the windows went up & down with the remote?! Did your father-in-law not believe you when you just told him?!

Anyway, if the window isnt straight anymore its probably hanging off the carrier or popped out of the front or rear guides. If your handy with a screwdriver take your door panel off and take a look. Whatever you do dont try & operate the window until its looked at in case something gets really broken that costs mega bucks!!

do a4's generally have the same problems as vw with the window regulators?

Well without wanting to sound "snobby", he's one of those "mine is better than yours" types although he does laugh about it, but anyway he drives a Ford Fiesta Zetec and just joking when we were leaving I said to him "I bet yours cant do this".................... "my window not work? yes your correct!"

A proper egg on face moment that was! :laugh: lol

I'll take the panel off tonight (weather permitting) and have a look. Is the panel relatively easy to get off? like just a few screws?

And yes, just out of warranty too :blownose:

Slinger said:
I'll take the panel off tonight (weather permitting) and have a look. Is the panel relatively easy to get off? like just a few screws?

Yes, all the screws are pretty obvious bar at the front edge, but just look hard and you shall find! It lifts upwards by the way so dont try & pull it straight off else you'll break something else!!

You may want to pop down to the dealer first and buy some of the fasteners that hold the panel on, as these are designed to break when you remove the panel. You need to pop the panel out before lifting it up. This is the front door but the rear are identical IIRC:
Avantdoorcard.jpg

A4B6-B7Door_Clip_1.jpg

This is what you'll reveal, so don't know how much you can access once you remove the foam:
Avantdoorskin.jpg

Thanks for the help guys, thats great :) I'll obviously have to remove the aluminium trim / strip from the door panel to access those screws. Is that just a case of pulling off?

Prise it off at the narrow end first as it's hinged at the end near the door hinges.