Electric windows... strange behavior

lucas-suisse

Reaction score
From time to time (would say about twice per month) my electric windows behave strangely... The usual single press on the door buton doesn't anymore fully open/or close the windows and the movement stops immediatly as I release the quick press on the buton. After driving a few kms all is back to normal... Strange. Any idea ?

Funny enough, mine does the same, but by the time I get in the next time, it sorts itself!

Reactions: Ziggyma89
On most cars if you manually hold the switch in the up position drive the glass fully up then continue to hold the switch for another 5-10 seconds that will perform a reset where the systems allows for where and tear etc. might be worth a try should this happen again.

You can also try by holding the button down and up the whole way. Worked in my father's t5.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
I find that this can happen if the window feels resistance, or you go over a big bump or pot hole when the window is in operation. It thinks there maybe something in the way and stops the auto function.

as mentioned above you can put the window up and hold the button up for a few sections and it will reset. you can do it in the down position as well...

Reactions: lucas-suisse
On most cars if you manually hold the switch in the up position drive the glass fully up then continue to hold the switch for another 5-10 seconds that will perform a reset where the systems allows for where and tear etc. might be worth a try should this happen again.

Thanks ! Will give a try next time it happens... and will report back.

I find that this can happen if the window feels resistance, or you go over a big bump or pot hole when the window is in operation. It thinks there maybe something in the way and stops the auto function.

as mentioned above you can put the window up and hold the button up for a few sections and it will reset. you can do it in the down position as well...

Thanks for your report !

A bit of silicon cleaner on the rubbers around the glass works wonders - I used to get the same issue on my S4.

Funnily enough, I have found that the BMW silicon cleaner is the best available. Apparently it has been a common issue on beemers since the 90s!!!