Electrical system fault just a day before we're going to holiday

DreamInCode

Reaction score
Taking the car on a holiday tomorrow and just out of the blue it had the dreaded electrical system fault popped up today, went away once restarted.

How likely it's for it to strand us hundreds of miles away from home?

The car is 35tfsi stronic, only 6 months old and done 5k miles. Never had this fault in 6 months.

That’s bad luck.

Hope it won’t stop you from enjoying your holidays.

I have a 30 TFSI unit and hope i don’t get to see that warning as well.

Reactions: DreamInCode
I had that error as well about 2-3 months back. Just turned ignition off and locked the car, went back in and it was fine. I didn’t get it since then and I’ve done about 12k miles. I think you are okay to go, probably just some silly software issue that causes the error

Reactions: Mryolon, AdamInKent and DreamInCode
Update: we drove about a thousand miles in just few days and the car did not miss a beat. No fault warnings popped up at all.
Really enjoyed the car driving in twisty roads around Cornwall.

Reactions: Ludus, SillyGoose, howett and 2 others
Update: we drove about a thousand miles in just few days and the car did not miss a beat. No fault warnings popped up at all.
Really enjoyed the car driving in twisty roads around Cornwall.

I was in Cornwall too for about 10 days and surely enough I did not get any errors regarding the emergency call or system reboot.

As soon as i got back home I started getting them again

I was in Cornwall too for about 10 days and surely enough I did not get any errors regarding the emergency call or system reboot.

As soon as i got back home I started getting them again
I also headed down that way for a week, from Kent. The only place I got MMI reboots was three on the SW section of the M25 on the way there and another three, in the same section, on the way back!

Reactions: SillyGoose
Fault triggered by specific location, could it be a bug in the GPS? Or in any of the many 'online' services it has? Which crashes the MMI app forcing it to reboot?

seems to me to be problem with handover between cell sites (since others report it happens when LTE has one/no bars). but it doesn’t happen all the time and in the same locations so there’s something specific about those sites. I work with the mobile operators so have put some feelers out since Audi are prepared to say absolutely nothing useful about what they know…

Reactions: Mryolon, DreamInCode and SillyGoose
seems to me to be problem with handover between cell sites (since others report it happens when LTE has one/no bars). but it doesn’t happen all the time and in the same locations so there’s something specific about those sites. I work with the mobile operators so have put some feelers out since Audi are prepared to say absolutely nothing useful about what they know…

That would make sense but when I was in cornwall the car had mostly 1 bar of LTE or none and it never crashed. Must be something else as well. For me it always happens when I’m in busy areas like London

Reactions: AdamInKent
That would make sense but when I was in cornwall the car had mostly 1 bar of LTE or none and it never crashed. Must be something else as well. For me it always happens when I’m in busy areas like London
yes. like i say, it doesn’t happen all the time so there’s something specific about the 4G LTE deployments on those sites. you also don’t have all operators on all sites across the country given network sharing agreements. i’d be interested to know if it’s happening in other countries too?

Reactions: DreamInCode, AdamInKent and SillyGoose
Its not lack of signal. I drive around rural Suffolk where there is no or little signal a lot of the time and don't get any reboots.

I still wonder of its 5g

Its not lack of signal. I drive around rural Suffolk where there is no or little signal a lot of the time and don't get any reboots.

I still wonder of its 5g
I'd be very surprised if the car was equipped with a 5G radio let alone SIM. 5G deployments have also been nationwide so it doesn't explain why its tending to happen more in urban areas. There will be more cell handovers in urban areas because of a densification of sites.

I drive mine round SE Cornwall and Plymouth daily with pretty well no reboots. However it usually reboots on the M49 ( usually when heading south not north ) and several times in a day when I am in South East Wales.

I got my first reboot last night A6 heading South Leicester - full bars on the signal at the time. Had car for other a month