Electronic handbrake should it auto release

Sylar1982

Reaction score
hi all I've been searching the forum on the electronic hand brake and I'm not really seeing what I need, I have a 58 plate Audi A4 B8 and I have researched auto release which says you just drive off and it releases well mine doesn't it holds on the brake, I have to put my foot on the brake and release it manually, was this an optional xtra at all. If that's the case can it be programmed to release when driving off?

Should release as you drive away, however, there are a couple of safety conditions that prevent that from happening:
Safety belt needs to be on, ie clicked into the latch ( this still very occasionally catches me out when just moving the car around, get too used to the auto release ! ) & doors need to be closed.
You can modify, using VCDS, so that the brake pedal doesn't need to be pressed to allow the parking brake to be released, however, I fairly sure the auto release when driving off is standard ( I'm sure someone will confirm ? )

hi all I've been searching the forum on the electronic hand brake and I'm not really seeing what I need, I have a 58 plate Audi A4 B8 and I have researched auto release which says you just drive off and it releases well mine doesn't it holds on the brake, I have to put my foot on the brake and release it manually, was this an optional xtra at all. If that's the case can it be programmed to release when driving off?

Yeah, should be able to code it in:

Enable Release Parking Brake without putting foot on Brake
[53 - Parking Brake][Security Access - 16] (Enter code presented by program)
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 4 Set to 0

Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 7 Set to 0

It should release automatically as standard. If you connect VCDS to it you will find a fault code with the Electric park brake system. Seen this on a 58 plate 3.0 TDI and it was reporting a fault code with the clutch position sensor. This is a part of the clutch master cylinder and cannot be replaced seperately. Get it checked for fault codes in the first place but I have seen a few people have this issue so wouldn't be surprised if this is the problem you have.

@Sylar1982 - just read your post re the central locking fault - the auto release issue may be connected to the door lock latched mechanism switch not showing as properly closed ? As @desertstorm says, run a scan with VCDS, you can also look at the door open/unlatched switch status to confirm or rule out this potential issue

Sorry, scratch that about the door ( post #2 ) needing to be latched, I was talking b****cks !!! It makes no difference on the door status, checked it tonight.
Must have been thinking about something else..... can't think what tho !!!

......... I'll get me coat ;)

Reactions: Chop.
Thanks for the replays I'll get it scanned and see what it comes up with

Reactions: TechNick
Please post what happened...I've just got an A4 and I have a similar issue:
seatbelt off, start car and I can auto reverse away
seatbelt on or off, from or after starting, going forward, clutch fully down and good revs and I always need to manually release

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue.
Did you resolve it?
Thanks

You really do need to start by reading the stored fault codes, if not you would just be feeling around in the dark replacing bits that are not faulty.

Okay reading the codes may well not point directly at the source of your problem, but it should give you a good idea of what is happening and so you should be able to use that info in fixing this.

Edit:- isn't just a pain when others don't can back to say how their problem was resolved??

Reactions: Eldeano2, JohnS3 and audiwaterpump
Edit:- isn't just a pain when others don't can back to say how their problem was resolved??
Thing is they come on the forums asking for help and then never update their own posts. Not good neighbours....:worked till 5am:

Yes, reading the codes is the first step.

Worst case, I suspect the clutch master cylinder will need replacing. Any idea of the total cost of this job?

Common issue that causes this is the clutch slave cylinder. There is a sensor in it that detects the position of the clutch pedal. The handbrake gets released when the clutch pedal is at a point where it's biting. I know of three people who have had this problem. You really need to check the fault codes. If this is the problem there will be a code stored .

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Common issue that causes this is the clutch slave cylinder. There is a sensor in it that detects the position of the clutch pedal. The handbrake gets released when the clutch pedal is at a point where it's biting. I know of three people who have had this problem. You really need to check the fault codes. If this is the problem there will be a code stored .
Thanks for the reply.
As you say really need the fault codes checked, but that's not easy at the moment.

I'll double check it again, but the following happens which would suggest that the clutch sensor is working (unless there is more than one clutch sensor )
1) If i try to start the car without pressing the clutch, then it won't start, engine won't even turn over.
2) Press the clutch, and then it starts ok.

PS - the cruise control doesn't work either, which i suspect is related to the same issue.

When I got my B8 the "auto-release" handbrake function was not enabled.
I have VCDS and it was simple to recode, I find this function very useful.

Just noticed you are from Walsall. I can very much recommend Midland VW in Norton Canes. Could be the clutch master cylinder as this also affects the cruise control. Really need to get the fault codes checked.

Regarding the clutch master cylinder.
This has three sensors built into it and the car needs to "see" all three in the correct order before it will start.
i.e. when you press clutch to start it triggers all three, 1-2-3 in order.
This would suggest that they are working, because your car will start.
Switch 1 & 3 are on/off type switches.
Switch 2 is an analogue hall-effect switch (to tell the ecu the clutch bite position)
As I said, are you sure the "auto-release" handbrake function is coded into your car? Mine as standard would not "auto-release", I had to enable it.

I actually diagnosed the fault on one car with Vag-Com. The handbrake wasn't releasing and the cruise didn't work. Everything else worked fine. The car will start fine as there are other ways of detecting the clutch is pressed with the switches. When sensors go faulty functionality is disabled that explicitly relies on that sensor. Probably the reason switches were used as well to give some kind of redundancy so the car will still start.
If it is the clutch master cylinder you can pick them up for around £70.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-M...-Audi-OE-8K2721401H-Febi-103652/174087885887?

As I said, are you sure the "auto-release" handbrake function is coded into your car? Mine as standard would not "auto-release", I had to enable it.
I'm not sure if the auto-release of the handbrake is coded in or not. Have only recently purchased the car. The previous owner doesn't know either.
Which page on the VCDS software would show whether it is coded in or not.
I couldn't find a relevant video.

The cruise control isn't working either. That isn't likely to be coded out as well.

what’s the big deal about pushing the button
did you scan your car as to why cruise control isn’t working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.
As you say really need the fault codes checked, but that's not easy at the moment.

I'll double check it again, but the following happens which would suggest that the clutch sensor is working (unless there is more than one clutch sensor )
1) If i try to start the car without pressing the clutch, then it won't start, engine won't even turn over.
2) Press the clutch, and then it starts ok.

PS - the cruise control doesn't work either, which i suspect is related to the same issue.
Get it scanned and pop your results up on here

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

what’s the big deal about pushing the button
This is a 6MT thing, but surprisingly, it's really handy to set-off by just releasing the clutch. Also acts as a hill-hold.
The hand you use to release the button is the same hand you need to put it into gear.
Means you can go from gearstick to steering wheel without having to visit the release button!

Clutch position sensor is faulty as other have said. You’ll need a new master cylinder.

mines on the blink too. Sometimes it doesn’t auto disengage, although mines coded not to need a seat belt on too.

cruise control doesn’t work

hill hold assist says unavailable on the dash

1 last point is it doesn’t say what gear I’m in either.

When I got my B8 the "auto-release" handbrake function was not enabled.
I have VCDS and it was simple to recode, I find this function very useful.

Just an update. Did this, and now I can release the e-brake without pressing the foot brake, which is much better than before. But it still won't auto-release.

Clutch position sensor fault. Car thinks you’ve still got the clutch down.

mine works 1 day and doesn’t the next. Got a new clutch master cylinder but haven’t got around to fitting it yet

Just an update:-
Replaced the EPB module. It didn't work. The e-brake still won't auto-release and the cruise control still doesn't work.
Had to get someone to code it in, but still no good.

I'll have to try the clutch master cylinder next.

Did you have a epb Module fault code? I had a clutch position sensor fault

Well bit the bullet, and had the clutch master cylinder replaced.
Hooray, finally sorted.
E-brake now auto releasing ok.
Cruise control is working as it should do.
Happy days.

Hi guys. My 2012 A4 b8.5 Avant has the same issue, but it's automatic. There are no codes thrown. Any other ideas?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk