Emergency help needed with Wishbone bolts

cerbera4_0

Reaction score
Can anyone help with my little problem.

I changed wishbone bushes today, all went well with one side. The other side though is a different story. Went to bolt everything back up and the horizontal bolt for the front wishbone bush just will not bite in the thread. Does anyone know what thread size is used on this bolt. I need to salvage the inner thread in the subframe. I think the first couple of threads are damaged because it starts to bite then it just spins.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as car is stuck on the stands until i can get this wishbone back on.

Many thanks in advance

Have you tried running the bolt in without the wishbone there because i have done this with bad bolts before and it can recut the thread it wont be perfect but it might give enough thread to get it to start biting. I cant remember what thread size they are though tbh so i cant help you there.

Yeah with wishbone removed the thread still wont bite. Ive measured the thread and looks like 12MM with a 1.5mm pitch. Looks like ive got to find a suitable tap to get it going.

unfortunately not. Think im gonna have to raid the tool boxes at work tomorrow

Is the threaded hole part still there?
I was told from my friendly Audi mechanic that is is a known problem for these that the threaded 'nut' is welded to the inside of the subframe. If it parts when you are trying to screw in your bolt then he told me people have had to cut open their subframe, re-weld the nut back on, then weld up the subframe.

Ouch that sounds nasty. Im pretty sure its there, it feels like it starts to bite then breaks free, i'll find out more tomorrow

Got it sorted by retapping. Was only the first couple of threads so easy fix in the end.