Emission control systems light on dash

Reidie87

Reaction score
Hi I'm hoping some has some information as don't know where to start.
Firstly I have a 2011 Audi A3 1.8tfsi 39k BE SPORTBACK
Yesterday on a short journey the car was losing power but for short periods of time. 1 second max
After several minutes the ECS light come on the dashboard.(emission control systems)
does anyone know if this relates to the decat/exhaust system or could it be something as simple as a spark plug change ?

The car sounds fine on tick over and will still give you hi speeds. I've just done a 15 mile journey to work and the misfire (how it feels) happens when accelerating hard and when decreasing speeds. It feels like a drop in power accelerating and a jump in gears when decelerating.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
if you took off the cat you will need to remap the car, if you didn't done that, this will trigger ecu a fault.

As above - it's not clear whether or not you have removed the catalytic converter from the car? Otherwise you need to plug the car into a diagnostic error code reader and see what has been logged - as a warning light came on something will be logged. These codes are your "friends" and will give you some guidance on what the problem is.

One of these linked to my Android tablet via Bluetooth and with the free Carista App - works a treat on my car for the money - £12.95 :footy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282271025055?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

if you took off the cat you will need to remap the car, if you didn't done that, this will trigger ecu a fault.
The cat has not been touched. This is a complete random issue.

As above - it's not clear whether or not you have removed the catalytic converter from the car? Otherwise you need to plug the car into a diagnostic error code reader and see what has been logged - as a warning light came on something will be logged. These codes are your "friends" and will give you some guidance on what the problem is.

One of these linked to my Android tablet via Bluetooth and with the free Carista App - works a treat on my car for the money - £12.95 :footy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282271025055?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks for the response and info regarding the diagnostic reader I'm hoping to get feedback on the DTCs tonight. I guess I was just hoping for some knowledge or if someone has experienced this themselves.

Just for reference if anyone has this issue.

Easy fix....
DTC code P0237 boost pressure sensor, low signal
Turned out to be a small black wire that had detached from the plug situated near the RH fan....
See photos

Airbox
Air duct
needed removing to access area

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,476
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,277
but it strange it went off, someone plug it bad way.

but it strange it went off, someone plug it bad way.
As long as I've owned it nobody has worked in that area so the only thing I can think is that when I'm jet washing the car the pressure has gone through the grill and disturbed it.
but what I have noticed is that all the harnesses are not protected all the way up to the plug most have 20-30mm of exposed wire. Poor design

but they got clips that if you don't lever them, they never go off, if pluged correctly, about the ends, yes and no, because at the ends they won t rubber on nothing, the protection is for 2 reasons, group them, protect agnist rubing, on the ends, there is nothing to rub and the plugs are protecting the wires till the rubber part.

but they got clips that if you don't lever them, they never go off, if pluged correctly, about the ends, yes and no, because at the ends they won t rubber on nothing, the protection is for 2 reasons, group them, protect agnist rubing, on the ends, there is nothing to rub and the plugs are protecting the wires till the rubber part.
Yes your right the plug was fully seated home but the wire leading into the plug mount broke off. See images

from images don't seem to be brocken (I can be blind as well)

from images don't seem to be brocken (I can be blind as well)
Look at the black wire branching off on my finger
Green and brown are still connected to the plug black has broken free

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,574
As you say, poor design. The wires may have been under tension and as you say, not protected. I am afraid I have been unimpressed with a lot of the flimsy electrical connections I have come across around my car so far. Nothing like BMW quality :grumpy:

Reactions: Reidie87
ah ok, now see it, I'm blind xD however new connector from audi should be few quids, + solder wires to extend them and use plastic flexi tube and should be ok and no tension on it. total of repair shouldn't exceed 10£

Reactions: Reidie87