End of lease collection delay. Insurance?

Chris43

Reaction score
my A3 goes off lease in a couple of weeks time. I'm unable to arrange collection with BCA as Im waiting for the personalised registration to go back on retention. This has to be done through VWFS as being a lease they hold the log book.

The department at VWFS that handles plate retention is still closed and according to the information I got today having sat on hold for the best part of 40 minutes, there is no plans to open it any time soon.

This inevitability will delay collection of the car past the date the lease ends. VWFS give clear guidance about storing the car off road etc but they seem to skirt round the subject of insurance. When the lease ends in August, my insurance will transfer to my replacement car potentially leaving the A3 uninsured.

Anyone else in the same position or have experience of how the insurance cover works.

You should be able to ask your insurer of the new car to add your old car in addition temporarily. There is sometimes a small fee but it’s usually reasonable.

That is an option but I'm not happy that it may cost me to store the car on behalf of VWFS.
Thankfully I have space to store the car off road so it will away from other traffic but its going to be conspicuous.

That is an option but I'm not happy that it may cost me to store the car on behalf of VWFS.
Thankfully I have space to store the car off road so it will away from other traffic but its going to be conspicuous.
Not a particularly helpful view potentially, but it's VWFS's responsibility to deal with the insurance - there is no onus on you whatsoever to continue to insure it, as it's not your car after the end of your agreement. As for the car taking up space, I'd have no qualms of leaving it on the roadside if it gets in the way. Slightly difficult as it's your plate causing the delay, but if they've closed the dept, IMHO it's VWHS's problem that they haven't a backup. I wouldn't get into the discussion about storage unless they actively prompt it - i suspect they want to SORN it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris43
If you are no longer the legal keeper/have financial interest in the car you can’t insure it any way.

Best to confirm with VWFS but I’d expect that the car automatically ticked over to one of their fleet policies, you need to check either way.

my A3 goes off lease in a couple of weeks time. I'm unable to arrange collection with BCA as Im waiting for the personalised registration to go back on retention. This has to be done through VWFS as being a lease they hold the log book.

The department at VWFS that handles plate retention is still closed and according to the information I got today having sat on hold for the best part of 40 minutes, there is no plans to open it any time soon.

This inevitability will delay collection of the car past the date the lease ends. VWFS give clear guidance about storing the car off road etc but they seem to skirt round the subject of insurance. When the lease ends in August, my insurance will transfer to my replacement car potentially leaving the A3 uninsured.

Anyone else in the same position or have experience of how the insurance cover works.
Someone posted a similar question a few weeks back, I'm sure they had an email saying as long as it stays on their drive VWFS will cover the insurance!

Someone posted a similar question a few weeks back, I'm sure they had an email saying as long as it stays on their drive VWFS will cover the insurance!

I've had a scan back through the thread titles as far as the start of May and cant find anything. If you spot it again please copy the link here.

I've emailed VWFS advising that the car will no longer be covered by my insurance once the lease ends.

Reactions: S32B
I've had a scan back through the thread titles as far as the start of May and cant find anything. If you spot it again please copy the link here.

I've emailed VWFS advising that the car will no longer be covered by my insurance once the lease ends.
Will do mate :)

EDIT* Just ad a look the only one I could rember reading was this https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s5-replacement-ordered.411383/#post-3561850 but I'm sure someone else had the same problem and they said just keep the car locked on the drive?!?!?

Last edited:
Check your agreement carefully before you bin the insurance on it.

Will do mate :)

EDIT* Just ad a look the only one I could rember reading was this https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s5-replacement-ordered.411383/#post-3561850 but I'm sure someone else had the same problem and they said just keep the car locked on the drive?!?!?

It will be safe on the drive but there's always the chance some scallywag will try to run off with it. I have keyless, which doesn't normally bother me I just leave the keys out of the way upstairs but sod's law someone will have a go at it. It's a bit of hotspot for Audis getting nicked where I live. My replacement car (1 series) has been delayed due to Covid so it can live in the garage till that turns up.

Check your agreement carefully before you bin the insurance on it.

Technically the agreement will have ended but I take your point.

It will be safe on the drive but there's always the chance some scallywag will try to run off with it. I have keyless, which doesn't normally bother me I just leave the keys out of the way upstairs but sod's law someone will have a go at it. It's a bit of hotspot for Audis getting nicked where I live. My replacement car (1 series) has been delayed due to Covid so it can live in the garage till that turns up.

Put your keys in a metal tin, I do that and even if you put the tin in the car with your keys inside the tin = Nothing starts!

The lease term may have ended but the agreement may be worded in a way that it remains in force until the car is signed-over. Might not be, but worth checking.

Reactions: Chris43 and JohnM100
The lease term may have ended but the agreement may be worded in a way that it remains in force until the car is signed-over. Might not be, but worth checking.

I've scanned through the agreement and the only applicable clause reads as follows:

"While this Agreement is in force you must keep the Vehicle comprehensively insured, for its full value. You must give us details of the policy if we ask you to and you must tell the insurer that we own the Vehicle."

Even so I've messaged VWFS fleet admin for clarification

I've scanned through the agreement and the only applicable clause reads as follows:

"While this Agreement is in force you must keep the Vehicle comprehensively insured, for its full value. You must give us details of the policy if we ask you to and you must tell the insurer that we own the Vehicle."

Even so I've messaged VWFS fleet admin for clarification

So the question I’d be seeking an answer to is does the agreement cease to be in force at the end of the hire period, which seems the most logical assumption but you never know with the crafty lawyer types who draft these things up.

Update:

VWFS called this afternoon regarding the delay in getting my plate back on to retention.
BCA still haven't reopened the department that handles personalised registrations and have no plans to soon. To complicate it further the DVLA are not yet accepting paper documents.

So, VWFS have supplied the V5 log book number and detailed instructions via email and advised I should apply direct online to get the plate onto retention. (they've waived the £50 admin fee... ) The retention certificate will go direct to VWFS and they will forward on. They have also supplied a dated letter confirming that VWFS has no rights on my registration.

With regard to the insurance, they advise that I contact BCA as soon as the retention is completed and arranging a date for the car to be collected. They are not aware of any backlog at BCA so there should be sufficient time to get the car collected before the agreement expires. Should it not be possible to get the car collected before the agreement ends they asked that I contact them and they would put pressure on BCA to make it happen.

In all a better resolution, it's saved me the £50 admin fee. Its all in my control too !

Reactions: S32B, Jcbmally and Martinbanshee
What a lot of messing around, they don't make things easy do they?

What a lot of messing around, they don't make things easy do they?
No, they don't !
Within an hour of getting the call from VWFS, I'd got my plate onto retention, new standard plates made, fitted and a booking made with BCA on the last day of the lease to inspect and collect the car. Just got to faff about getting the MOT done then its goodbye A3 and good riddance Audi.

No, they don't !
Within an hour of getting the call from VWFS, I'd got my plate onto retention, new standard plates made, fitted and a booking made with BCA on the last day of the lease to inspect and collect the car. Just got to faff about getting the MOT done then its goodbye A3 and good riddance Audi.
I contacted them about my pcp car going back, they wanted (which I expected) the ghost system taking off before they collect it, but also said they wouldn't be able to give me an exact date to collect the car!!! I couldn't be ars** messing around paying to get the ghost off just to then bin it, as it's a waste of a good system. The car I had looked at getting can't get here in time and there's nothing else I want, so I've decided to keep this car and just throw an MOT, service & warranty on it and keep it until I see something.

Reactions: pburv
I contacted them about my pcp car going back, they wanted (which I expected) the ghost system taking off before they collect it, but also said they wouldn't be able to give me an exact date to collect the car!!! I couldn't be ars** messing around paying to get the ghost off just to then bin it, as it's a waste of a good system. The car I had looked at getting can't get here in time and there's nothing else I want, so I've decided to keep this car and just throw an MOT, service & warranty on it and keep it until I see something.

I booked my collection from BCA online, I was able to setup the collection for date the lease ends. The car I have ordered is delayed till mid September so I want to hang on to the A3 as long as possible.

It makes sense to hang on to yours till you find the right replacement.