Engine and gearbox out in one go. S3 8L BAM

whizz371

Reaction score
Hi All. I know the gearbox out from underneath is a difficult job. However I need to do some winter work on the turbo, exhaust manifold etc. I have a decent hoist and as the front will be coming off anyway, I was thinking on dragging the lot out, and then fitting new clutch. Has anybody done this or any thoughts please. Does anyone have any idea of the combined weight g/box/ trans box and engine.

Other than having to disconnect a load of stuff, drain coolant etc taking out the engine and box together is pretty straightforward to do and is how I have done many a build at Badger5...

Makes dealing with the transfer box a lot easier especially if you are not doing this on a ramp... from memory (which granted is not the best) when I corner weighed my S3 the front totalled around 900kg (450ish a corner) so a 1tonne hoist should be ok as long as you don't extend the bean any more than you have to and you keep the assembly as low as possible as you manoeuvre it out... a 2 tonne hoist would be a breeze

<tuffty/>

Brilliant, its a big winter re furb. so no issue with all the disconnecting. I have a 2 ton hoist so game on. I have been asking quite a lot of questions on here as this is my first S3, and its a big learning curve. Thank you everyone for your help and answers. Hopefully I will be able to give back as I learn more. Will do some pics of the engine and gearbox out job.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Without the luxury of a lift, I've done most engine and box work on my drive. Solo with an engine crane, I tend to prefer pulling the entire lot out than trying to get a box out solo with the car on axle stands - hateful task.

Bad enough when @Prawn makes you do it repeatedly at a race meet :laugh:

Reactions: desertstorm
I have taken out the engine and box in my TT now several times to rebuild the engine and replace / upgrade the gearbox. As Luke says above trying to work on the drive on your own with no lift it's a real pain trying to get a gearbox out. A lot of the wiring on the engine can stay in place because Audi kindly wire most of the sensors, injectors, coils etc on the one ECU plug. So although you need to take the wiper blades off to remove the cowl to get at the ECU, undoing the smaller plug off the ECU allows you to leave most of the wiring connected.

Here's the engine removal procedure. At a main dealer they use a cradle that mounts to the bottom of the engine to lower the engine out the bottom of the bay. Most of the steps apply to remove it with a crane . You don't need to remove the power steering pump , just disconnect the hoses. The whole front of the car comes off to make this quite easy. Remove bumper , crash bar, headlights. You can fold the AC out of the way without breaking the circuit.

Attachments

• s3 engine removal.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 95