Engine bay heat

Pook

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on how long they would expect the engine bay to cool to a sensible level after shutting down. Today I drove the car and didn't push it at all (but there was some motorway driving) for about 30 mins to a shopping centre. I was in the shopping centre for id say at least 1.5hrs and when I returned to the car the engine bay was still red hot. I opened the bonnet and indeed everything was still v high temp, engine cover included. This sound normal? I think when I left the car initially the fan was still going (sounded like it was doing its regeneration thing) thanks

Reactions: pburv
Can anyone advise on how long they would expect the engine bay to cool to a sensible level after shutting down. Today I drove the car and didn't push it at all (but there was some motorway driving) for about 30 mins to a shopping centre. I was in the shopping centre for id say at least 1.5hrs and when I returned to the car the engine bay was still red hot. I opened the bonnet and indeed everything was still v high temp, engine cover included. This sound normal? I think when I left the car initially the fan was still going (sounded like it was doing its regeneration thing) thanks
Not sure on this but does the diesel particulate re-gen need the engine running to complete this?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hm
Not sure on this but does the diesel particulate re-gen need the engine running to complete this?
mmm not sure but didn't think so cos I thought that's what it was doing when the fan continued for ages after shutting down. The reason why I regularly have people at work come in from the car park and say 'hey what's wrong with your car, it sounds like it's about to explode, have you turned it off properly'

Also on that note I regularly find the front end of my car v hot, even around the wheels. It does seem to tie in with the fan noise continuing (doing a regen?) but I'm still not convinced there needs to be all that heat when doing it.

Also on that note I regularly find the front end of my car v hot, even around the wheels. It does seem to tie in with the fan noise continuing (doing a regen?) but I'm still not convinced there needs to be all that heat when doing it.
Sounds like you need a visit to a garage.If only to give you peace of mind...
Hope it's nothing at all and if it is hope it's nothing serious...:friends:

Reactions: Pook, S3 Turbo and Rob2k68
After a 40 minute drive last Friday I had to wait 2 hours before it was cool enough to fit my Turbo Muffler Delete. It was still hot mind just not hot enough to permanently remove finger prints !!!

Reactions: MikeParkin, pburv and Pook
Have Volkswagen/Audi gotten paranoid with the regeneration running more and stronger now after the Diesel scandal?

Anyway, doing as pburv suggested sounds like a very good idea...

Reactions: pburv, Pook and Rob2k68
Thanks guys, might drop Audi a tinkle. They will definitely think I am mental like as this is my second car after I had a rejection and pretty much all the staff know me on first name terms cos I am in so often ha! Better safe than sorry though!

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv and Rob2k68
My S1 generates a lot of engine bay heat (similar to Rob2k68 by the sound of it) for instance after a 30 minute drive I have to wait almost two hours to be able to wash the car, otherwise the bonnet is so hot it evaporates the water from the jet washer.

I think I posted about this before as it was a shock compared to my previous Citroen DS3 remapped diesel ;)

Reactions: Pook, Rob2k68 and pburv
It sounds like maybe it is normal then. It's funny though how much they go on about lowering emissions and saving energy losses etc etc but then a regeneration feature that loses so much heat I could heat my home for the winter just seems crackers. It does not surprise me though, as long as the figures look good on paper eh, sigh.

It sounds like maybe it is normal then. It's funny though how much they go on about lowering emissions and saving energy losses etc etc but then a regeneration feature that loses so much heat I could heat my home for the winter just seems crackers. It does not surprise me though, as long as the figures look good on paper eh, sigh.
Did you get any reply from the dealer's regarding your issue?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Did you get any reply from the dealer's regarding your issue?
Nah I haven't taken it in yet, I'm kinda keeping an eye on it for now. With others reporting similar things I'm thinking maybe it's just meant to be like that.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Nah I haven't taken it in yet, I'm kinda keeping an eye on it for now. With others reporting similar things I'm thinking maybe it's just meant to be like that.
Fair enough....If it ain't broken don't fix it...lol :friends:

Reactions: Pook and Rob2k68
After a 40 minute drive last Friday I had to wait 2 hours before it was cool enough to fit my Turbo Muffler Delete. It was still hot mind just not hot enough to permanently remove finger prints !!!

How big a job was the muffler to change goon to mine along with the charge pipe and rfd I'll do it all while it's in bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah sorry, mines a v hot petrol and doesn't have DPF regens. My previous DS3 did and that got hot whilst the regen was running.

Reactions: Pook
How big a job was the muffler to change goon to mine along with the charge pipe and rfd I'll do it all while it's in bits

About an hour all told mate including removing the air box - luckily already had the CTS outlet pipe fitted so just split that so the rear section came out to give me more room. Yeah defo do it as the same time as the pipes makes a lot of sense ;o)

Reactions: Ben2487
9b71848e5b1206da9a40275d5c6cca88.jpg

ec08907656c2334ff58c35f1b89e791b.jpg

You can see the difference in the exhaust temperature it get ridiculously hot!

Reactions: richinsoton and Rob2k68