Engine continues to run with key off - seen before?

vag-tech

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.mbjarvie.co.uk
Gents,

Got an interesting one on an 2013 8V.
  • DIS displays "Engine start system: system fault" upon engine start
  • Symptom - engine doesn't stop with key off (position 0), only when key pulled.

Didn't have time to look at it today...Know its likely T15 relay failing to break...j329 behind glove-box.

Was interested to know if anyone has seen this before on the 8V?

Hi.

My father had the same issue on his 2013 Audi A3 8V TDi Quattro.
As you said it was possible to turn the key all the way to off and the engine would still run.
Only when the key came all the way out and the steering lock would engage the engine would turn off.

The fault was the coil around the key inside the ignition, Audi replaced it free of charge about 1,5 year ago.

\Chris.

hi. christian

I have an 2013 AUDI A3 TDI 8V Hatchback

i am currently having the exact problem the car only turns off when the key exits the car otherwise it is still running. i have been to numerous local garages no one seems to know what the problem is, some are saying ignition switch, car locksmiths are saying its nt the igniton switch, or the barrel. electrician is sayin the BCM needs updating etc... i can not seem to diagnose the problem and audi will a charge a hell of alot of money.

do you think it could be the coil?

UPDATE:

Gents,

This fault was traced to the BCM - driver circuit to the main relay was defective (ignores T15-off signal from key). We tried update without success. I fear this may become a common issue...

Note - BCM requires coding so the DIYers will need full access VCDS.
If you are going to attempt renewal yourself, advise getting fault codes confirmed by a technician and you must check wiring before getting in to module replacement (BCM is 312+vat, ordered to VIN, i.e. cannot be returned).

Reactions: Sandra
Note that in the above case a "component internal failure" error accompanied the T15 error. If you do not have both codes, the ignition switch can only be ruled out if live position data is to specification. If not, then the switch is likely defective.

I'm having similar problem right now with my a3 8v tdi 2013
I can take the key out of the ignition and the car still runs,i have to stall the car to stop the engine and when i do this everything is still light up on the cluster like its ignition is on,it drained the battery and wouldn't start till i got it charged up again,I had to take the battery terminal off to save the life,when i put it back on ignition is on, it can start and run fine but just wont turn off ?

This kind of sh!t shouldn’t be happening to a 5 year old car. It’s for exactly this reason that i decided to go the pcp route. Change my car every three years and therefore I’m always covered by warranty.

Reactions: machine3006