Engine cutting and coasting even with Stop/Start disabled?!

Vertigo1

Reaction score
So today, whilst on the motorway, I noticed that, if I lifted and coasted, the gear indicator would first vanish (i.e. 'D7' becomes just 'D') which usually indicates the clutch has been disengaged and you're 'coasting' then, a second or so later, the green stop/start symbol would appear next to the 'D' and the engine would cut out!!

Err, what the hell? If I've disabled the stop/start, which I always do, why is this happening? I can't find any way of turning this behaviour off.

On my previous S3, coasting (clutch disengaged) was only used when specifically in the Efficiency Drive Select mode and the engine would never cut out.

There is a setting in the red car menu that turns on/off called something along the lines of ‘intelligent coasting’, or ‘intelligent efficiency’.

Pretty sure you’re stop/start should only kick in from 5mph and under though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have a look but I'm sure I checked everywhere and couldn't see any option like that. Maybe they've removed it in later revisions?

Traditional stop/start is indeed for when you come to a halt and that's what I switch off every time I start the car as I despise it.
I was just shocked at this engine cut-out when coasting at speed though as I've never even heard of that before. I didn't expect it to coast unless it was in Efficiency mode, let alone cut the damn engine!

Pretty sure it should only disengage the gear, not cut engine.

Or at least it should!

Or at least it should!

Or at least it should!

I believe the mild hybrid system in B9.5 allows the engine to switch off during coasting and still provides power to auxiliary systems unlike in the original B9 which just dropped into neutral.

Reactions: Sibmets
You may be correct - I have a B9 so can only tell from my experience with this I’m afraid!

You may be correct - I have a B9 so can only tell from my experience with this I’m afraid!

I have a B9.5 Avant and confirm the engine will switch off and the gearbox will disengage when coasting

Interesting! I’ll keep an eye out over the next few days and see if mine does the same.

I always assumed it was only disengaging the gears, never thought it would also cut the engine although for an efficiency perspective would make sense.

I thought the B9.5 was the only model running mild hybrid tech in the A4 range?

Mine is 2018 and has it. Having said that if does have nearly every extra that was available. It was registered March 2018

I thought the B9.5 was the only model running mild hybrid tech in the A4 range?

My 2017 A4 was also a mild hybrid and turned off the engine when coasting. You can also instigate coasting with a gear paddle. Not sure but I don't think it was part of the start stop system but I am sure both are off in sports mode...

My 2016 TFSI Quattro doesn’t do this - tested it this week on motorways and it does disengage the gear but never cuts the engine at all, even in Efficiency mode.

Engine only ever cuts sub 5mph when coming to a stop or stationary for me!

My 2017 A4 was also a mild hybrid and turned off the engine when coasting. You can also instigate coasting with a gear paddle. Not sure but I don't think it was part of the start stop system but I am sure both are off in sports mode...
Interesting that you should say that, given that in thread booboo linked to, you stated your car didn't do it (post 13).
I have the B9 2018 and my needle drops to ready when coasting More on it here
Original B9 cars would drop to idle revs and disengage drive when coasting, from MY2019 the mild hybrid system allowed the engine to switch off. This seems to have filtered through in cars delivered in 2018 or later.

I tried mine again in efficiency mode and if the road in front of clear and straight or down, the engine will stop and the needle goes to "ready"
I have the miller 190bhp 2.0Tfsi engine

Interesting that you should say that, given that in thread booboo linked to, you stated your car didn't do it (post 13).

Original B9 cars would drop to idle revs and disengage drive when coasting, from MY2019 the mild hybrid system allowed the engine to switch off. This seems to have filtered through in cars delivered in 2018 or later.
Maybe that's what I was seeing, as I've no longer got the A4 I can't test it..

Well I can confirm my car is not only doing this but also there is no option in the updated MMI (touch-screen, no wheel) to disable it.

My next question is whether this can be turned off via VCDS as I'd buy it just for this tbh!

I get around it by driving in sport mode, which also disables stop/start.

With the configurable individual mode, that allows you to set different modes for the engine, gearbox, steering and suspension, if you've adaptive, is it possible just to place just the gearbox in sport mode and that disables start stop and coasting?