Engine failure whilst driving

jarnold231

Reaction score
Hi there,

Bought a used Audi A4 Avant B7 2.0TDI 140 (2007) with 114k miles, paid £1200. Took it to the garage and had a new cambelt fitted and the brakes done (£650). Mechanic said the thing was in great condition otherwise. Happy days.

Tonight whilst driving home I went round a corner and changed down gear (5>4) and the engine lost power, no loud bang or warning lights, just failed. Engine was turning over, but not firing so I'm assuming its a fuel related issue, but hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it.

Got the AA turning up tomorrow morning, so will get a diagnosis then, but was just wondering if this is just sh!t luck, or if there's something more common with this car.

Hi , did you get the car back home , if so does it start , I had the same problem , tip toed it home and my EGR valve was broken .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got home with the assistance of a Nissan Navara and a tow rope. It was only a mile or so, and fortunately the towing attachment was still in with the spare wheel (unlike the jack - so need to get one of those...)

The car turns over, but does not start.

I have a 170 TDI similar symptoms . But mine would start and only limp if I tried to drive . Keep updating the thread on how you get on .

Reactions: AvantMike
Mr AA Man is turning up tomorrow, and the car was booked into the garage to have its anti-roll bars done on Thursday so if it needs more work it can be done. Will update.

Reactions: AvantMike
Sounds really similar to my 170 TDI issue J - EGR wasn't closing properly & DPF was clogged - seems to be driving OK now with new EGR & cleaned DPF.

Much worse than an ERG or the fuel pump, or the fuel filter.

The the tensioner on the cambelt (which was replaced last week and has done 300 miles) sheared off its bolt. So back to the garage for a difficult conversation about culpability.

Attachments

• IMG_20190529_080903.jpg
    IMG_20190529_080903.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 340
Oh dear , some one is going to have soar knuckles. Hope it gets sorted .

I bet that stud aint sheared, when you purchase a decent quality kit it comes with a new stud for that tensioner, my bet is that he unwittingly loosened the stud when removing the old tensioner and the studs has worked it way out. When you have a new stud in the kit its a nice reminder to make sure its wound in right before refitting everything.

From my conversation with him it seems the old piece was used (i.e. not a new stud) which seems like a bad economy to make. Fair play to the garage owner though, he's offered me full value of the car + the parts and labour I'd previously spent with him total of £1900 or an engine rebuild.

Reactions: RAF_S7, CHEZ and AvantMike
From my conversation with him it seems the old piece was used (i.e. not a new stud) which seems like a bad economy to make. Fair play to the garage owner though, he's offered me full value of the car + the parts and labour I'd previously spent with him total of £1900 or an engine rebuild.

From what you’ve had done already and otherwise a good car, surely worth having a rebuild?

Just to close this out; decided not to get an engine rebuild as he said it would take several weeks and would leave me kind of stranded in the middle of the highlands with no car. Fortunately someone was selling another just like it down the road in Fort William for the same price (£1200).

Pros: much better condition bodywork than mine
Cons: done 180k, but had an engine replaced at 94k, currently at 106k. Doesn't have the MFSW / Cruise Control / DIS the other one had

Other than that it seems to work well, the engine is a bit 'throaty' on start, but seems to run well once above 3rd. Thinking about salvaging the steering wheel / cruise control and DIS off the other one.

Attachments

• newcar.jpg
    newcar.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 292
Just to close this out; decided not to get an engine rebuild as he said it would take several weeks and would leave me kind of stranded in the middle of the highlands with no car. Fortunately someone was selling another just like it down the road in Fort William for the same price (£1200).

Pros: much better condition bodywork than mine
Cons: done 180k, but had an engine replaced at 94k, currently at 106k. Doesn't have the MFSW / Cruise Control / DIS the other one had

Other than that it seems to work well, the engine is a bit 'throaty' on start, but seems to run well once above 3rd. Thinking about salvaging the steering wheel / cruise control and DIS off the other one.

Glad you got it sorted, a shame for the other one to be end of life though :’(

Reactions: jarnold231
I'm not sure what the odds on this are, but I've just had the exact same failure on the new car. Identical piece has broken, cambelt tensioner.

Am I driving this wrong? Was going along at 30 in third and the tensioner has broken off. Seems a bit unlikely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Jeeze.

The odds of the same failure on 2 different cars?

Where abouts are you?