engine has started to sound like a tractor - video available

lisaclio

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i've tried searching for the problem i've got but i can't find any solutions or any other threads thats about my problem. My a3 2005 2.0tdi bkd sportback has started to develop a loud tapping noise on idle. Theres no loss of power or anything wrong with the actual running of the engine. Its just the loud tractor noise. It got serviced about a month ago on a major service and ive only done 62000 miles.

Video below. Any ideas please let me know as i'd like to get it fixed but not be ripped off or get told its something bad when it could be something small.

For me it hears/looks like serpentine belt related thing, I mean maybe it slips for some reason or maybe some component is making this sound, like alternator etc.
You could try to spray a bit of WD40 on it, possibly remove the belt and see if it helps.

Is that the belt what's turning next to the alternator? Do I need to spray the bolt what holds the pulley on and not the actual belt? Sorry for the questions just want to make sure I'm actually spraying the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes, exactly!
Try to spray directly on belt, but not too much! If it helps it becomes quiet but sound reappears after few minutes when oil dries out.

EDIT: here I found a video which should help you :)

The Wd40 does not the cure of the problem, it just helps you find a noisy belt, pulley or bearing. You need to change the noisy component for a permanent fix.

Sounds like your clutched pulley on your alternator has seized up, is your tensioner bouncing around a lot at idle?

There cheap and easy to change but it does require a special tool to do the job.

Reactions: enc
brilliant thanks guys going to spray the wd40 on it this weekend and then head to a garage next week. i just didn't want to get ripped off by a garage by saying its something totally different.