Engine management light and ESP light on

AndyS3

Reaction score
Anyone else had both on. They came on this morning after i was pushing prity hard round a bend that was getting tighter, instead of backing off i just pushed on knowing i would have no probs getting round the bend. When i exited the bend i lost all power momentarily. I then cruised down to a roundabout and the car count out. It started straight away, this was when the ESP light came on and the car was pulling to the left as if the ESP was applying the brake to the left front. Drove the car home and then the engine management light came on. The cars going ok, looks like i'll have to take a trip up to QST.

Anyone else with similar experience?

sounds similar to when i had a hose blow off mid bend, when hoofing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

esp light come on and stayed on

car had no power and switched to 2wd mode

didnt have the pulling to (either way) fault tho

was obvious blown hose, could hear turbo wheezing. as air leaked, and obvious hose hanging off in engine bay.

mine was the temperature sensor...... that was on the little 1.6 tho

[ QUOTE ]
sounds similar to when i had a hose blow off mid bend, when hoofing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

esp light come on and stayed on

car had no power and switched to 2wd mode

didnt have the pulling to (either way) fault tho

was obvious blown hose, could hear turbo wheezing. as air leaked, and obvious hose hanging off in engine bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what happened to me on Tuesday. The hose came off and the ESP light stayed on.

The ESP light is still on, I don't understand why they should be linked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

modern cars use "multiplexed" systems. basically some systems feed others data an vice versa. this is to cut down on the amount of sensors required in a modern vehicle. a fault in the engine could send out some wild data to the ESP which would log this and cause a fault.
The fault just probably needs clearing.

ESP light can also come on, and stay on, if there is a problem with the ABS or some sensors in the brake system. This occurred on my car, firstly, brake pedal pressure sendor sensor (something like that), and then another sensor buried in the brake servo system.

AL