Engine mgmt light and car shuddering

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I started the car up this evening to come home from work it hesitated slightly before firing up, which hasn't happened before. Then once started and idling the whole car shuddered slightly, but revs sit at a steady 9k ish as normal.

Pulled away and it shuddered when low revs, almost like it's kangerooing slightly, but revs are steady, there's no drop. Then the yellow engine management system light came on.

Seems to be ok when cruising along over 2000 revs, although there's possibly a slight drop in power, but whenever slowing down, or stopping, it shudders again.

Car is as per signature, done around 85k miles.

Anyone know what could be the cause? Just what I need right before xmas!

Thanks all.

Mike

Just been doing some searching on here of old threads and sounds to me like it could be a dead coilpack from what I've read of other similar sounding problems.

Anyone care to agree or disagree with this diagnosis?

If it is, can the parts be bought from halfords or parts shops or is it a stealers job?

Cheers

Mike

Doubt that its a Halfords job Allmost certainly s dealer part !

Yeah sounds like coilpack...
Try vagparts, they're pretty decent. Its not a major job, DIY!!

coil pack defo... i had one go while doing 90mph crapped my self, decided to change all 4, from what i can remember since 2001 there have been 7 different variations with audi trying to solve this problem,

i had black to coil pack in the can and now a later revision and ther red now. i think there about 22 quid each, i think ecp do the too?

Thanks guys.

Think I'll order a coilpack and use the missus car to get to work tomorrow. Fortunately I'm off after that until Jan so should give me enough time to get the part and fit it.

Cheers

Mike

Get someone with Vag-Com to read the error code. I'm guessing Vag-Com will tell you which coil has failed, unless you're going to replace all 4.

Yeah would be helpful, but unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one.

Might just have to replace one at a time and test to see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers.

Mike

Someone on classifieds was selling a couple of coilpacks couple of weeks ago, maybe a good idea to track them down... One of mine went a few weeks ago and the symptoms do sound familiar. Good luck