Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction (8.2.2.2 (g))

Aaronm067

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an A3 8L 1.9Tdi with the AGR engine and it’s failed it’s MOT on the above.
I’ve honestly never noticed it on my car and after reading an article online about an 8P not being fitted with an engine check light I’m hoping that this is the same for my car.

can anyone shed any light on this or if it’s meant to have one and not just the OK that comes up after it’s done it’s checks, what could cause it to not come on at ignition?
Thanks

So basically your car has failed the MOT because there is an active or stored fault code on the ECU but no engine check light is on is the cluster, which could mean that someone has pulled the check engine light bulb out from the cluster to hide the fault. The MOT station have diagnosed your car and read the fault code and then failed your MOT as its not illuminating the fault in the cluster. My advice take it to another MOT garage, unless you want to be bent over a barrel.

I've saw this on another thread on here and I'm near sure the conclusion of the thread was that the car didnt have a eml light from factory. This guys car was failed the mot for no light on dash aswell. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Thanks for the replies. I went into the MOT centre and told them about the MIL light not being on the car and the reply was that it has to have an MIL light. I think I’ll take it somewhere else to get tested but I’ll take the cluster apart first and take photos just so I can prove to them that there isn’t an MIL light.
It’s just annoying to have to wait to get it booked in somewhere else as it’s been off the road for over a year and now I’m putting a fair amount of cash into it to get it looking and running great. Oh well needs must I suppose

UPDATE:
Today I took apart the cluster and found no tape covering the light. I plugged in VCDS and ran an output test which switched the EML on. However.. after looking for faults one did pop up saying Engine Control Module “No signal/Intermittent”.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m thinking either the 50amp Engine Management fuse, the ECM relay or worse.. the ECM itself?

The car runs perfectly apart from the other day when I went to start the car and the cluster was pretty much dead and the car would start for 2 seconds and then die. After playing about with some related fuses in the dash holder it started working again. Could this have been related?