Engine Noise When Ignition Switched Off

MikeM_

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a new Audi A3 sportback 1.6tdi 3 weeks ago. I've not driven it as much as I haven't had a need too I've done a total of 600 miles so far. My commute is usually around 250 miles per week on average.

I noticed that when I pulled up at home when and switched the ignition off there was a noise coming from the engine, a little like the sound of a fan which could noticeably be heard. After a little while this stopped. I only noticed this after driving around 20 miles as the other journeys I have done have only been 2-5 miles.

The other night I did a similar journey in terms of miles and heard it again. Is this normal or should I take the car back to Audi? I thought it could be the AC fan or possibly something to do with the turbo?

Thanks,

Mike

If it's coming from the glovebox, it's the fan on the 5F unit.
Or Is it a high pitched whine from the engine (Lift the bonnet)?
Or the coolant over-run pump (do diesels have these) ?

no no at all it just sounds like a fan / air intake I was wondering if it's because I've had the heating on in the car or whether this is just normal for this car.

Thanks it does sound like it could be the above so nothing to be worried about I don't think? It's the first diesel I've ever owned. I tend to do motorway miles through the week as well as a couple of short journeys and then weekends are usually just shorter journeys generally.

I've read that it helps to clear the DPF if you stick your foot down on the motorway if the car is only doing shorter journeys all the time and this will help clear the DPF?

Reactions: Pulp84
Found an example online this is exactly what it sounds like.

I am facing the same issue in my Audi A3 2013.
Front big fan was running at very high speed. Again I switched on and off the car it stopped. I came out and taking my luggage from the boot and locked the car post that the fan again started running with loud noise.
Than I again started the car and switched off and than fan also got stopped. I waited almost 20mins to notice of it start again but this time it was completely off. Don't know what will be the issue or its normal

I am facing the same issue in my Audi A3 2013.
Front big fan was running at very high speed. Again I switched on and off the car it stopped. I came out and taking my luggage from the boot and locked the car post that the fan again started running with loud noise.
Than I again started the car and switched off and than fan also got stopped. I waited almost 20mins to notice of it start again but this time it was completely off. Don't know what will be the issue or its normal
if it comes on then it means that the car is attempting to regen the dpf but your journey wasnt long enough to allow it to complete, because it has not completed it will try it again the next time you start the car and so on until it manages to complete the regen cycle.
if it does it after every single journey then take it out to a motorway and drive at high rpm (low gear) for a bit, this should regen the dpf.
if it still comes on after that then there is likely something wrong (keep in mind it will start trying to regen again in a few weeks if you do mostly short journeys, this is normal)

Reactions: abhinav tomar