Engine rattle

Rydog

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I’ve got an 2006 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI 8P.

I understand the HPFP is a bit tappy on the TFSI engines, however from around that side of the engine, it sounds a bit louder than normal, a bit like what I can only describe as metal slapping and a little bit of smoke coming from under the rocker cover. I’ve heard the cam chain is a problem on these cars, and I’m unsure of when/if this has been changed. I’ve had an engine light pop up a couple of times, which then turns off after about an hour of driving. Not really noticing any loss in performance, and it doesn’t feel like the car is misfiring at all.
To any of you lovely people that know about these cars, does this sound like the dreaded cam chain stretching/failing or could this be as simple as a cam follower or HPFP failing?
Any help would be much appreciated!

best thing to do would be to get it on a diagnostic to see what codes it is throwing when the light is on (or retrospectively held in the memory after the light is out). Obdeleven or VCDS are your best bet.

Could be your cam follower in the fuel pump needs replacing (happens to be my next job).

I’ve literally got it on a diagnostic, and was showing an issue with the mass air flow sensor. Looks like it wasn’t quite plugged in properly. No other codes what’s so ever.

I was told the HPFP was replaced before I purchased it, but to me it doesn’t look new, so could have been one off a breaking car I’m assuming. May just change it out and change the cam follower along with it, as I just had a look and it could probably do with a change. With a bit of luck that’s all it is.

hope the job goes well for you mate!