Help Please Engine starts then dies immediately

Harry42203

Reaction score
I've just finished putting a new timing belt on my 2.0TDi CAGA engine in my 2011 A4 Avant the engine will now turn over start and then die instantly.

The timing appears to be correct as when I have the crank indexing tool installed and aligned the cam indexer can easily be installed as can the HPFP indexing pin.

The tension appears to be correct as the needle is almost touching the right hand side of the gap.

I was worried that maybe it wanted a some sensors reconnected so I fully reassembled the front end connected every loose connector, and have since torn it back down as far as I needed to, to quadruple check my timing marks were correct.

I've tried replacing the battery in the key.

I've checked for codes and all I got was old codes from 2k+ km ago and a lot of codes about my battery dying.

I have charged the battery.

This is the first timing belt I've done and I'm not a mechanic does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?

This is what it does

IMG 20220329 WA0011

IMG 20220329 WA0010

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Just like to say, great effort to diy your cambelt. Top marks.
Replace the battery if it is low. Poor battery causes all sorts of unrelated issues. And you need to code it in as well.

Does it popup safe in cluster as dying immediately after starting sounds like immo.

I can't offer any advice on this one as I've never done an Audi cambelt. My only venture into that territory was on my old V6 Alfa, that was a pita! I've sworn since I'd never do one again.

But many kudos to you for doing it. Master this and there won't be much you can't do on the car.

I've just finished putting a new timing belt on my 2.0TDi CAGA engine in my 2011 A4 Avant the engine will now turn over start and then die instantly.

The timing appears to be correct as when I have the crank indexing tool installed and aligned the cam indexer can easily be installed as can the HPFP indexing pin.

The tension appears to be correct as the needle is almost touching the right hand side of the gap.

I was worried that maybe it wanted a some sensors reconnected so I fully reassembled the front end connected every loose connector, and have since torn it back down as far as I needed to, to quadruple check my timing marks were correct.

I've tried replacing the battery in the key.

I've checked for codes and all I got was old codes from 2k+ km ago and a lot of codes about my battery dying.

I have charged the battery.

This is the first timing belt I've done and I'm not a mechanic does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?

This is what it does

View attachment 252108

View attachment 252109

Did you do 2 full rotations of the engine after fitting the timing belt ?

Then check the alignment marks / tension pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Garrett 69 and audiwaterpump
Did you do 2 full rotations of the engine after fitting the timing belt ?

Then check the alignment marks / tension pointer.

I did more like 8 to 10, I'd do 2 then check then 2 then check., but now it has done hundreds because after that video was recorded I went back and checked again it's still spot on.

I can't offer any advice on this one as I've never done an Audi cambelt. My only venture into that territory was on my old V6 Alfa, that was a pita! I've sworn since I'd never do one again.

But many kudos to you for doing it. Master this and there won't be much you can't do on the car.
Cheers man

Reactions: Garrett 69
I did more like 8 to 10, I'd do 2 then check then 2 then check., but now it has done hundreds because after that video was recorded I went back and checked again it's still spot on.

Yes agreed if there was a mechanical issue you’d know about.

All sensors plugged in ok ?

Yes agreed if there was a mechanical issue you’d know about.

All sensors plugged in ok ?

As far as I know they are, mostly because I didn't have to unplug any to do the cam belt on this car.
As far as I can tell I need to go get myself a vcds cable and do a proper diagnostic because the pos Carly I was using told me nothing

Reactions: 8YARWY
As far as I know they are, mostly because I didn't have to unplug any to do the cam belt on this car.
As far as I can tell I need to go get myself a vcds cable and do a proper diagnostic because the pos Carly I was using told me nothing

Maybe an idea to rule anything else out.

There’s a few things I unplugged when doing our mk7 golf GTD belt.

Has yours the fuel pump on the right like ours ?
8bfe7773ebbfbdcb551fe0a7906f36f3.jpg

eb52a1eb28eebd3ba0c99112b6908a05.jpg

Maybe an idea to rule anything else out.

There’s a few things I unplugged when doing our mk7 golf GTD belt.

Has yours the fuel pump on the right like ours ?
8bfe7773ebbfbdcb551fe0a7906f36f3.jpg

eb52a1eb28eebd3ba0c99112b6908a05.jpg

It has a fuel pump there but the belt routing looks way different.

Yes yours is like this

329840bd74ef4409f580507ef0788abb.jpg

I did lock the pump yeah and even though I am aware the pump can be up to about half a tooth out it's also spot on in time when I check timing

I'm on my way to grab a vcds cable and give it a proper scan

The flashing glow plug light in your video suggests somethings not happy.

I had that once when a pressure sensor went the car struggled to start and when it did the idle was all over the place.

I had that once when a pressure sensor went the car struggled to start and when it did the idle was all over the place.

I did notice that and when googling it it brings a list of about 300 things it could mean including the one I'm holding on to which is the fuel system needs to be bled.

I can't see why you'd need to bleed the fuel system if I'm honest. You've not broken into any fuel lines have you?

Don't be me. Don't be a ****** spanner.

I've fixed it and it runs beautifully

Don't be me. Don't be a ****** spanner.

I've fixed it and it runs beautifully
It was my own stupidity I was looking at the wrong mark on the crank shaft pulley I was out by 1 whole tooth. Just goes to show how far out the old belt actually was.

It was my own stupidity I was looking at the wrong mark on the crank shaft pulley I was out by 1 whole tooth. Just goes to show how far out the old belt actually was.

Good that you fixed it, but you’ve been lucky there I feel

Any more out and you’d have been looking at scrapping the engine

When I did the Cuna engine I re-inserted all the timing pins etc to 100% make sure it was all the same again.

Fair play to you though, that’s a job that would put a lot of people off, and you’ve tackled it at your first attempt.

Good that you fixed it, but you’ve been lucky there I feel

Any more out and you’d have been looking at scrapping the engine

When I did the Cuna engine I re-inserted all the timing pins etc to 100% make sure it was all the same again.

Fair play to you though, that’s a job that would put a lot of people off, and you’ve tackled it at your first attempt.

20220330 162841

This bit of tip ex is what threw me it's is certainly a learning experience. And yes without a doubt I got extremely lucky here I have the car now about 90% back together just a few odds and ends but it's running as it should now.
Thanks everyone for the help and input

Reactions: audiwaterpump and NyB8
It's not stupidity at all bud. You were a cambelt virgin, you weren't supposed to hit the spot first time. Main thing is you've used your brain, re-checked and found the error.

Glad to see you got it fixed.

Please enlighten us with photos of the right marks and the wrong marks.

Glad to see you got it fixed.

Please enlighten us with photos of the right marks and the wrong marks.
Some previous presumably actually a mechanic marked the wrong tooth with tipex like a true genius

@Harry42203 Out of interest, what's the mileage on the car, and how old was the previous cam belt?
Milage is 275000km last belt is marked as 159000km.
Photo below shows the condition of the old belt when I checked because of an extremely loud and extremely sudden noise coming from there.
Old water pump was marked as changed too but I could clearly see old blue silicon that had been used to seal the water pump and it had fully siezed.

IMG 20220315 WA0000