engine tappety when starting up from cold

Johnny0709

Reaction score
I guess this subject has been covered many times, I'm new to the forum so can only apologise for going over old ground.

Question is - my 1.8T petrol is starting to become tappety when starting from cold, could this be down to not having long life oil in system or do I need heavier grade oil or is the problem something more sinister ???

Welcome to ASN. Any pics of the car? Have a read in the faqs threads at top of the page. Lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

sounds like the oil pick up pipe is caked up in sludge... lack of oil changes and incorrect spec oil id say

first off id get the oil pressure checked by a separate guage.
if its correct it might just be a couple of sticking/knackard tappets.

try running a good engine oil flush thru it and changing the oil.

Personally if it was me, i'd be tempted to take the sump off, give it a clean out. Take off the pickup pipe. Clean that out.Put in some longlife genuine audi oil and change it again in 5k.That's just what I'd do though.Genuine oil should give it a good clean out without releasing any possibly sludge too quickly.

FIRSTLY ID JUST LIKE TO SAY I FEEL YOUR PAIN BROTHER,,
AND I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THE OTHER GUYS ARE WRONG BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS ALL OUR OPINIONS ARE 2ND GUESS AT BEST,
BUT BEFORE YOU TRY SOME OF THE MORE INTRICATE SOLUTIONS, TRY THIS,,

IVE HAD THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM RECENTLY,, BUT ONLY WHEN COLD, IT DROVE ME CRACKERS FOR MONTHS !!!!!
IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE AIRCONDITIONING PULLY THAT WAS SHAGGED,,,
THE LUMPYNESS OF A COLD START IS ENOUGH TO MAGNIFY THE RATTLE,
YOU CAN ALSO ACTUALLY MAKE THE CAR RATTLE IF YOU PUT IT IN GEAR, WITH HANDBREAK ON AND SLOWLY DIP THE CLUTCH TO PUT THE ENGINE UNDER STRAIN,, THIS WILL REALLY MAGNIFY IT
ME AND MY MATE WHO IS ALSO MY MECHANIC SUSSED IT OUT,
IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT ENOUGH, AND BEFORE YOU 1ST START YOUR CAR, PULL THE BELT OFF AND RUN FOR A MINUTE OR SO, BUT NO LONGER !
IF YOU DONT HEAR THE SOUND YOUR HALF WAY THERE,,,
NEXT,, ROTATE THE AIR CON PULLY IN A QUICK MOTION CLOCK WISE AND ANTY CLOCKWISE, ALMOST AS IF YOUR SHAKING IT AND ALSO RATTLE IT ON ITS AXIS,,
IM PRETTY CONFIDENT YOUR GUNNA HEAR THAT NOISE THATS BEEN DRIVING YOU CRACKERS COMING FROM IT !!!
AIR CON PULLEYS ARENT TOO EXPENSIVE EITHER AND APPARENTLY IT IS A COMMON PROBLEM
I WAS OVER THE MOON WHEN WE FINALLY GOT TO THE BOTTOM OF IT, MINE RUNS SWEET AS A NUT NOW
GOOD LUCK WITH IT MUCKA,, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON !

Mine did just that it was the cam chain tensioner rattling. I thought is was on its way out, about 2 months later oil pressure light came on. So dropped sump, sorted the pick up pipe. Noise gone and engine is a lot smoother at idle now too. So as mentioned above I'd get oil pressure checked.